Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Can we get Conan yeast in NZ. If so whats it calling its self.

Views: 2027

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it'll be US-05 TBH its not fruity enough to be anything else.

the other question, will there be enough yeast in there for culturing?

Its pretty fresh so culturing would probably work but for US-05 who can be bothered I would hardly break even on the extract to culture vs just buying a pack. I can't remember what it was like a beervana other than it was hazy and I liked it, it was almost the last beer so I was a bit pissed by then.

Haha, from what i remember it tasted like an IPA.

not the typical juicy silky descriptors menitoned. (my NEPA was silky and definitely juicy, such a big contrast.)

See what  u think, but it just seems too clean to me.

Yeah I see what you mean. It's a good beer. A bit of silkyness from the oats, good hops but not what I'm looking for yeast wise.

I stand corrected. A mate bought a can over on the weekend, and it does now seem that this latest batch has a better yeast strain. i suspect they'd be using wlp007 though, which is a little cleaner and less estery than say 1318.

you might also get some yeast out of it, considering the crap that came out of the can. lol (Mostly hop matter)

I have managed to culture off bottles BUT it has never been as clean as a purchased yeast....   I think you really need autoclave level cleanliness to make this work,    Other peoples home brew is way way easier as there is so much yeast at the bottom of the bottle.   you can may a good judgement call on the cleanliness of the beer.... as you drink it, but have the small starter ready to roll

Works well in case swaps,  I gave a beer to someone then lost that yeast ,   3 mionths later got it back in a different beer   8)

Any one used WLP041? sounds interesting.

I have 1318 on the stir plate at the moment. Looking forward to using it. Was going to use oats and stuff but decided to keep it simple to evaluate the yeast without adding a bunch of unfamiliar ingredients. 91% gladfields ale, 7% toffee, 2% sour grapes,  a little P Jade for bittering and a lb of Citra. If its good will rebrew with some golden naked and flaked oats.

Sounds like a good start. 1318 is very nice.

SO after using WLP095 for a little while now I'm getting very frustrated with the chunky nature of it. I use a Malt Mechanics 60L conical and after cold crashing the clumps of yeast still float and it makes it difficult to dump the yeast before kegging which means it's hard to get all the available liquid (sweet sweet beer) out in the lower levels without getting chunks of yeast into the keg too.

Because of this I will go back to WYeast1318 for the next batch but I think I remember it being chunky too and the Krausen hangs around for ever. Can anyone remind me if this is the case?

After going with 1318

and pitching a 4L starter into 40L @ 19c then bumping up to 21c after 2 days

dry hopped on days 4 and 11

It fermented like mad

I'm a bit surprised by a couple of things at kegging:

1) Not estery at all. Might bump up temp next time.

2) Almost clear, so much so that I would be surprised if it docent drop clear in keg. I did add a little gelatin during 8 day cold crash, I wasn't going to but decide to be kind to my brew mate who bottle conditions as it makes a huge difference to bottle sediment.

3) 82% attenuation. Not that happy about this one as a big part of looking for a new yeast was to retain a bit more sweetness and body.

Dry hop flavour and aroma was huge if a little grassy. Should be a good beer, maybe a bit thinner and dryer than I had hoped.

I didn't like it at all. Yeasty weirdness overpowered just about everything.

Also mate I brewed withs bottles all turned into bottle bombs, I keg so didn't have this issue. I was wondering if it hadn't fermented out but I can see from my comment about attenuation that it had. Possible infection?

I won't be using it or trying to brew a NEIPA again at least until I have had the chance to try some reputable examples of the style. At this stage its hard to tell if I cocked it up or if it is just something I don't like.

weird.

I wonder if your increase in temp too early ramped up the esters?

I really enjoyed the 1318 yeast when i used it.

maybe give S-04 a try if u do another NEIPA or go with something more neutral like WLP007?

supposedly 1272 works well too.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service