Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70863

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

the flaked oats is what makes these beers so popular.

there seems to be some sort of reaction between the oats/hops/yeast that make these beers so different to a normal IPA.

if it was me, you could use toffee no problem, but to start with i'd suggest a simple pale and oats malt nill

I ended up dropping the oats and just doing pale ale 8% toffee 2% sour grapes just to see what I thought of the yeast in a reasonably fa miler context. IF I like it will re brew with oats. That 1318 is a beast bubbling like crazy and the lowest OG beer iv had blow kerisun out the pipe.
Hello fellow brewers...

I'm after some quick fire advice or a recipe for an all NZ ingredient Pale Ale? We have our group brew night tomorrow and we are wanting to brew a NZPA, something of which I haven't brewed nor have a tested recipe for. We are thinking along the lines of Garage Project Hapi Daze

Anyone out there got some advice or a recipe they are willing to share?

TIA.

Mark

Check out Deebles how to brew a good NZ Pale ale here: http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/profiles/blogs/brewing-a-good-nz-pa...

Also NHC medal winners 2015 has my recipe here: http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/forum/topics/soba-nhc-2015-recipes?...

B-Chur is also a good recipe here: http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/group/clone-brews/forum/topics/behe...

Have fun!

The old digital IPA recipe is always a good. As far as I'm concerned its the definitive NZ IPA

http://yeastieboys.tumblr.com/post/52208987616/digital-ipa-recipe

Or the new one. Its quite different.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6oiu7jHLKYrQ09QczRzd21ZX0k/view

Hey thanks for the reminder about the new recipe, I'd fogotten that was about one.

I've dialled the recipe back to a more quaffable 1045 and brewed today

Cheers, jt

JT, fancy sharing your scaled down recipe?

i asessionable pale ale, would go down a treat now the weather i warming up

hey, I don't know if I'll have the balance right or if my reasoning is ok
The grist is the same, adjusted for gravity at 1045 not 1055
52.2    Pilsner Malt
43.4    Vienna Malt  
 4.4    Gladiator    

Pacific Jade at 60 min to 40 IBU - that balance is probably a little lower and a personal preference
Then the rest of the hops are roughly 80% (45/55's)  of the published g/l

I mashed at 68c, wanted a slightly higher FG

repitched some 05 from a 1036 ale I'd kegged on Friday and that's started well

I was planning of adding the first dry hop at 3, maybe 4 days, see what it's doing by then
Not sure If I need the 4 day intervals for them both, with the lower gravity

cheers

I brewed a hapidaze clone recently ,  and its come out too dry, like there is way to many hops for the malt backbone,  and it really needed some balance,  which made me revisit the whole light cry/caramalt thing in a pale ale....   I was on the rebound from a pale ale that turned into an ipa due to too much crystal,   but I think none is too little.   Will be keen to seen how your beer turns out, I mashed pretty low, no mashout and used us05, none of which would have helped me.  The beer is drinkable, is still early on in the bottle and is showing a bit more promise as time goes on, it may well come right but next brew there is some caramalt going in.

Ingredients

Amt

Name

Type

#

%/IBU

4.00 kg

Gladfield American Ale Malt (2.5 SRM)

Grain

72.1 %

0.80 kg

Gladfield Munich Malt (7.9 SRM)

Grain

14.4 %

0.50 kg

Gladfield Wheat Malt (2.1 SRM)

Grain

9.0 %

0.25 kg

Gladfield Gladiator Malt (5.1 SRM)

Grain

4.5 %

25.00 g

Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

Hop

32.5 IBUs

30.00 g

Kohatu [6.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min

Hop

7.7 IBUs

25.00 g

Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min

Hop

5.4 IBUs

35.00 g

Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min

Hop

0.0 IBUs

35.00 g

Riwaka [5.25 %] - Boil 0.0 min

Hop

0.0 IBUs

20.00 g

Kohatu [6.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min

Hop

0.0 IBUs

10.00 g

Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min

Hop

0.0 IBUs

50.00 g

Pacifica [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Hop

0.0 IBUs

50.00 g

Riwaka [5.25 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Hop

0.0 IBUs

Yea I did wonder about the balance with the lower gravity and quite light malt bill and that's partly why the higher mash temp.

What do you think about the dry hopping times - the two lots at 4 days each

having near on 55 gladiator will help considerably, plus your higher mash temp.

All good re dry hop, I have never really got grassiness off dry hops but have always only dry hopped for about 7-8 days before cold crash and rack, I cold crashed 2-3 days and tried gelatine twice,   bugger wouldn't clear tho,  maybe its all the wheat in it.    I'm getting some astringency as well just to completely stuff up the beer, (I think I over mashed as I had to go do something and it took a lot longer then planned)   I reckon it will be a good summer beer, its clean fermentation wise and that dryness can be a plus.  Mental note that GF American ale by itself is pretty thin.    I have a amazing IPA with it , backed up with caramalt.

Your beer has a better malt backbone IMHO then my hapidaze

I think that hoppy PA is a dam hard brew,  easier to do an IPA imho.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service