Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Anyone out there have a successful recipe for a Corona clone? I've had good success with Mangrove Jacks Mexican Cerveza kit. Just doesn't have that same crisp taste. Cheerd

Views: 1539

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No Offence.

but as a home brewer you can brew anything you want, and you want to make a clone of a beer, that you can buy for $10 a dozen at the supermarket?

It'll cost you more to make it....

Haven't seen Corona for less than $22 in NZ and that's just for 12 350ml bottles

this guy seems to have a plan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsv402twBJA

more seriously , this recipe would probably work, but as rob says, buy it in 18 bottle cases, would be easier

If I am going through the pain of making lager starters etc etc, I tend to want to brew something pretty expensive like Emersons pils, etc...    its a lot of work and pain vs a simple blond ale.  

Recipe Type: All Grain   
Yeast: WPL940 (Mexi Lager)   
Yeast Starter: No   
Batch Size (Gallons): 11   
Original Gravity: 1.053   
Final Gravity: 1.010   
IBU: 15.3   
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60   
Color: 3.3 SRM   
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 Days 52 Deg   
Additional Fermentation: Lower temp 5 Deg/day till 32 Deg Lager for 6 weeks   
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 6 days 62Deg   

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.00 gal 
Boil Size: 14.07 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 3.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU 
7 lbs 12.8 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 39.0 % 
7 lbs 12.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 39.0 % 
4 lbs 6.4 oz Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 22.0 % 
2.10 oz Liberty [4.30%] (60 min) Hops 15.3 IBU 
1.20 oz Liberty [4.30%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)Hops - 
2 Pkgs Mexican Lager (White Labs #WLP940) (I actually used a 1/2 gallon starter that I stepped up from 1 vial) 

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 20.00 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time 
Mash In Add 7.60 gal of water at 159.3 F 140.0 F 45 min 
Step Bring temp up to 152.0 F 152.0 F 60 min

Primary fermentation: 7 days at 52 degrees 
Diacetyl rest: 6 days at 62 degrees 
Secondary/Lagering: bring temp down 5deg/day until 32 degrees is reached and lager for 6 weeks.

Cheers

Let me know how it turns out.    

I've started my lager brewing for summer last weekend.  Good month to to start doing -- should be nice and ready by December.

I've got two lagers  fermenting at the moment -- looking to add in a 3rd..  :)

Carboys and fermenters on my garage floor are sitting at 9-11C perfect for Pils ferments, bring them into house after about 7 days for a decent warm up to finish off and D rest,  and you are good to bottle after about 1 month.   open a fresh pack of us05 as you bottle and put a tiny bit of yeast into each bottle if you used lager yeast.    sometimes you can get away with not doing this but you Don't want acet bombs and the us05 wont change anything

I like this yeast  https://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=28     you could probably get away with that yeast for the corona as well,  its pretty crisp / sharp.

the white labs german lager yeast is damn good as well,   you will need a massive starter 5-7L 

best results is always when you repitch the first batchs yeast into 2 more batches ie split the slurry

I've got this one: https://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=34  (Czech Pils) in a mason jar in the fridge from last time.

I see it lists Vienna lager as a one of the styles.  I'm wondering if i could use that in it instead as according to one of the home-brew books I've got floating around, mexican lager evolved from Vienna lager that came over with the Austrians that settled in mexico..  (not sure where I read it -- most likely a Denny Conn book..)

btw i agree on the slurry, I use secondaries so i can do 2-3 batches batches pitching on the yeast cake each time.   

WLP940 Mexican Lager Yeast

From Mexico City, this yeast produces clean lager beer, with a crisp finish. Good for Mexican style light lagers, as well as dark lagers. This is one of the best lager strains in the White Labs yeast bank; try it with any lager.

Doesn't sound "special to mexico"

YEAST STRAIN: 2278  |  Czech Pils™

Originating from the home of great Pilsners in the Czech Republic, this classic strain will finish dry and malty. It is the perfect choice for Bohemian-style Pilsners. Sulfur produced during fermentation can be reduced with warmer fermentation temperatures 58°F (14°C) and will dissipate with conditioning.

Sounds good , maybe a bit to malt forward but if you used plenty of adjunct you probably not notice,  I think Danish Lager yeast would be a closer match"

I tend to use new clean fermentor but swirl and pitch the slurry from the old brew into the new clean one...tend to pitch all the cake from a 20L batch into either 2 x 20's or a single 40L, 

I came across this recipe for Dos Equis, which I presume is similar to Corona.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/dos-equis-sp...

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service