Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

10g calcium sulphate per grain father recipes

So, any happy grain father recipe has one mineral addition which is 10g of calcium sulphate. The beers made like this that I've tried are delicious.
However, it's a bit left field compared to conventional advice. Puts ca and so4 at roughly 150 ant 350 respectively in the mash . Anyone got and explanation for this approach or what their rational is?

Views: 342

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hoppy is what I meant.
I don't have a grainfather but have done a fair amount of reading on water additions.

In general the target for hoppy beers should be 180+, calcium should be 50+ for good break and yeast health. The final amount will depend on what you're starting with in your water, off the top of my head 10g would get you in that range if you start with RO water I.e. no existing salts. I use 8g, 4g epsom, 4g gypsum with chch water (which is low salt).

Also we're you using batch size or total water additions as your calculation? I generally use total water as my main focus is mash pH and I full volume BIAB. For salts you're looking generally at content post boil but if you add in the mash you're going to lose 3-5l to grain absorption so being finicky, volume into fermenter + grain absorption is what I should use, as I include boil off volume I'm probably hitting closer to 200 ppm SO4.

Not sure if that helps?
Hi Sam.

That all makes sense and echos my thoughts.

Though the one size fits all aspect is what interests me. I guess 10g caso4 is a good starting point for any hoppy beer brewed in nz given that most water is quite soft because it comes from rivers and lakes (?)

Cheers Dan.
Yeah, that'd probably be it, I've helped mates with Dunedin and Wellington water profiles, not sure what Auckland is like but I don't recall seeing figures above the 100 ppm range in base water

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service