Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I've been rather partial to Saison's & Heffe's this summer and made a couple of each.   I also really like the Leffe Radieuse but I only found one recipe on homebrewtalk.com, so that was it then.  I didn't plug it into Beersmith (mistake) and missed the OG by a big margin.  Also the Candi sugar was about half what was needed and so it's a little lighter too.  

target OG 1.078 FG 1.014 ABV 8.2%

23L, IBU 17 

90 min mash @ 65deg C

30 min recirc 65degC > MO 75degC

90 min boil. 

6kg Pilsener Malt Weyermann

0.46kg Munich Light Weyermann

0.24 CaraMunich 

0.24 Aromatic

0.24 Special B 

0.23kg Dark Candi Sugar (All I had left, should have used 0.38kg)

0.4kg White sugar

30g Ultra hops 8.2% @ 60 mins

2 pkts T-58 in a 48hr 1.5L starter 

Got 24L @ OG 1.069 

fermented at 18 rising to 20deg after a week.

After 2 weeks it's still at 1.020 but tasting promising.  It's a bit lighter (colour and ABV) than I wanted, which while it's OK wasn't what I was hoping for.  Is there anyone else out there who has tried to make a Radieuse or any Leffe or Chimay clones at all and has some tips?  

thanks

Views: 489

Replies to This Discussion

Nice one, I've seen this recipe. and has it sitting for awhile.

I always thought that it was amber candi?

Akavango's posted recipe is for 0.75lbs [ 340g/19L] Dark Candi Sryup.  Mine was also dark, I just didn't have enough.  I've also just been checked 'Brewing Classic Styles' and compared this recipe to the Belgian's listed there.  It's uncanny how similar it is to the Dubbel listed?  

Sante

Ok, so I brewed this on 10/1/2016.  

23/1 (2 weeks later) it was sitting at 1.020 and appeared to have slowed to a stop and I thought it was nearing done. 

On the 6/2 I take another hydrometer load and it was at 1.015 (target was 1.014).  It's tasting good but the following morning it's visably bubbling away again, slowly but consistently at about 20degC.  So 4 weeks in and I'd normally have kegged at week 2 or 3 by now.  But as I want to bottle this one I want to make sure it's done.  

My question is, as it obviously hasn't finished yet should I transfer it to a secondary, to get it off the yeast, or just leave it as is a bit longer.   It's now at 1.013, The sample is not really clearing even after 24hrs in the keg fridge, so there's plenty in suspension.  It's very tasty and I'm now concerned there won't be any left to bottle if I keep going like this?  

If you've experienced anything similar I'd like to hear what you suggest?

many thanks

Steve

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service