RealBeer.co.nz

http://www.grainfather.com/

Mangrove Jacks new all grain unit - its nice

Views: 31936

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tonight on Macgyver...

Ha looking forward to seeing that!

I started a Grainfather USer Group here: http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/group/grainfather

We can keep some of these discussions a bit more organised!

Just been watching the video you added to the group. This is the type of guy I would expect to be the target consumer - wants to do all-grain, go to LHBS, pick up the Grainfather, go home, brew! Simple as that.

One thing about the Grainfather that is bugging me (and this is not really a problem) is the controller cover - every time you open it the box moves up due to the lid fouling with the bracket. Hopefully the bracket is cut down a bit on V2.0.

Good video though (but did he leave the lid on for the whole boil?)

Interestingly they tell people to put the lid back on 5 minutes before the end of the boil and leave it on when cooling. DMS city!

yeah has potential for this,  you will be so sorry if you get dms its bloody horrible, my pot in pot has 2 keg king death traps in it one night one blew just as I started a boil, I put lid on to get boiling and left it mainly one, was my 2nd or 3rd ag beer, it tasted so bad after 3weeks I left it along for a month hoping it might clear out, no way it gets worse, vigorus open boil, I wouldnt cover it at all when boiling unless you can extract the team, thats when the dms is living...    

No one pretends that you can get a HERMS or RIMS 3 vessel brewhouse for $999   more like 2-2.5K once finished 4k for the farra 6k for something called WW (plus for ability to actually mash)..

for the money its a great first step into brewing and the other half isnt going to bitch about you stealing the bbq gas bottle or making a mess on her stove top etc etc

they have sold 100 in this  little country with 4mil people the UK and Europe will be big where people don't have garage or carport juts a garden shed if they are lucky....the us may be tougher to crack as you have the bauyau classic amazon crowd, thats cheap brewing, i still expect 1-2k by xmas into the us, just image the aftermarket in GF's and also how people will actually be willling to buy electric brewry clones etc once they want to move on to full 3 vessels, if they do.

this is all good, grains and hops will turn over faster thus be fresher, best thing to come out of MJ in ages in my opinion, now a decent conical (may have mentioned that....).   

No, I didn't leave the lid on the for whole boil. In fact I think most if not all of the boil is missing from the video. I'll have to rewatch it. If it's something I messed up, it will be a learning experience. The system is perfect for me, as I live in an apartment so it fits the size I have to brew, and my wife tolerates it. It may not be the most elaborate system but for me, it's much better than ripping open a bag of extract and pouring it into a fermenter with water.

It's a far cry from some huge setup, but it is a great tool to learn the process with, and get good results from.

I had the lid off for most of the boil too mainly cause it would have boiled over if I had it on. even with me having stirred it for a long time 

Can anyone give me the inside diameter (not circumference) of the grainfather. Want to see if my chiller will fit inside it. Thanks in advance.

29.5cm inner diameter, 45.5cm inner height

I woke up this morning stoked to be doing a new brew in the Grainfather. Filled it up with water and put in the mash temperature and went off to do a few things. Came back and it was still sitting at 18 degrees. So ive spent the last 30 mins playing around with it and I cant seem to get the element to fire up. Even when I switch to boil.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas what to do?

Hi everyone.  Now it's been out for a while and put through it's paces...  

What are your thoughts on the Grainfather and would you recommend it?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service