Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Couple changes to the format we had been following: The clones were not very popular so we have gone back to a BJCP 2015 based competition. Keep in mind that with our competitions are every other month, and the selection is 4 months prior to judging, which means that we have time to brew lagers.

In Sept, Tom won the Tuatara Ardennes clone and chose "New World Pilsner" as the style. Unfortunately, BJCP doesn't have this as an option, so the closest we can get (per Tom's decision) is Czech Premium Pale Lager 3B: A Rich, characterful, pale Czech lager, with considerable malt and hop character and a long, rounded finish. Complex yet well-balanced and refreshing. The malt flavours are complex for a Pilsner-type beer, and the bitterness is strong but clean and without harshness, which gives a rounded impression that enhances drink-ability.

Have at it. 

As usual, we will be at Hallertau from 2:30. Judging is to start at 3pm. Bring at least 500mL of your entry (plus and extra to share with everyone else). $10 entry. 3rd place chooses next style, 2nd place gets their entry fee back (unless they are not present), and 1st place gets the rest of the cash. If you win and you are not around, cash goes on the bar and we drink it.

Views: 440

Replies to This Discussion

Sadly I only came third (hence my choice this time)!

You had the wrong description there Barb.  For 3B Czech Premium Pale Lager it should read:

"Rich, characterful, pale Czech lager, with considerable malt and hop character and a long, rounded finish. Complex yet well-balanced and refreshing. The malt flavors are complex for a Pilsner-type beer, and the bitterness is strong but clean and without harshness, which gives a rounded impression that enhances drinkability."

I will still be trying to head down the New World road which 'Saazer-type hops' in the guide seems to still allow.

Cheers

Yet, you're right. Ive fixed it. I had the number right but quoted the Czech Pale lager not the Czech Premium Pale lager.

Mine is tasting awesome, but I promise to save enough to enter (and win) this this.

Who is in?

Let me know so I can advise Hallertau. We should also be ready to discuss if we need to move the competition to a different location?

Cheers

I'm in. Kegged mine on Saturday - should be a winner!

I'm in.  It's been lagering for a month, hopefully the keg's not frozen solid.

Sorry Barb, looks like I'm out. Although it tastes pretty good from the keg I've failed to get any successfully into a bottle. So without any better plan to avoid massive foaming I'm not going to waste any more.

OK, it was a lorra, lorra swearing (and beer on the floor) but I have sufficient into bottles that I'm back in.  Hopefully there's more than 3 of us!

Glad to hear you will have an entry - it was your style choice after all.

I am looking forward to this - I think mine turned out really well. Greig and Phil will be our judges. See you there.

Cheers

Bollocks, casting my fragile ego on the rocks of those callous bastards again!

Sorry for the late posting of results. 

After all the worry from Tom, he ends up winning this with a massive 41 points (silver). Well done - and with Phil and Gregg as judges too!

6 entries this time. Dan came in 3rd and has chosen next style: Specialtiy IPA 21B - Red IPA

Best of luck

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service