Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I have become a huge fan of making liquid starters from previous batchs yeast trub. Fermentation starts waaaaay quicker and healthier than pitching rehy dry yeast. Question is: how many times do you folk reuse yeast in this kind of set up? I am as sanitary as possible but unsure I want to go over 8 cycles just to be sure I dont &%^$ a batch.

Cheers!!

Views: 360

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do 5-6 then throw out. Havent tested longer but usually I want to change to a different yeast  style by then anyway

See this thread for a bit of background:

http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/forum/topics/when-to-harvest-ale-ye...

I re-use the yeast 3 times. I usually use one "harvest" for 2 subsequent brews, so I do a total of 15 brew from one packet of yeast. Not only is the yeast 4th hand by then, it will have been stored for up to 6 months.

I think the best advice I received was to always smell the yeast (when you open the jar after it has warmed up from being in the fridge).

Smiffy

I buy a smack pack, grow it, split into 4-6 jars. From there I can keep growing so it lasts a while.

I don't use washed yeast from previous beer as it changes slowly from brew to brew.

Thats a good idea! So do you pour the smack pack into a 2l flask and grow for 24-48 hours then divide into jars?

That's roughly it.. but here is a summary.

• Make 1.040 starter (with a touch of yeast nutrient) and grow for 24hrs (40 for lagers).. some take longer to get started so I don't take it off until its gone milky.
  • Put in a fridge for 48hours to chill and concentrate the yeast at the bottom.
  • Syphon off the top clear liquid.
  • Mix up the rest and divide into cooled boiled jars. Try to leave no head space in the jars.

I recommend a stirplate if you have one... you just get more yeast.

I have my stir plate but I am looking for jars/tubes to store my yeast. Any ideas on a source for these?

Briscoes.. wee jam jars.

awesome, thanks.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service