Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Just sharing a simple idea.

To get a  bit more acuracy from my STC sensor it was obvious that it needed to be in the middle of the fermenting solution.  (Right?)  

So ...a Thermwell.

Simple...I took some non toxic tube, a keg plug and a stainless steel rivet to plug the end off.

A 13-14mm hole drilled (speed lade)  in to the plastic keg lid and ...voila.

The stc 100 sensor drops down to the bottom of the tube and proves to read about  1 to 1.5 degrees more accurate than an external position.  ( Tested with 2 STCs matched up[ b calibration)

Here it is...and it works a treat.  (Use normal sanitisation and cleaning procedures)

Views: 694

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Now that is nicely done.

Stepping up to stainless steel fermenters so showing the simple  DIY thermwell as I have implemented it.

Also showing a shot of the little mod to the base of the Mangrove Jacks SS  Fermenter.

I drilled a bunch of holes to allow efficient passing of heat from the heat pad into the base.  There is a large void in there and that would have acted as a barrier.

Just a bit of FYI

I have done exactly this on my brine tank, but what I have found is that fluid can worm its way in there and this has caused two probes so far to go kaput.  Don't know if the STC-100 probes are susceptible to this however..

Also, have you thought of wrapping a mirror demister around the fermenter instead of a heat pad underneath...? 

I have had no leaks into the tubes and I did test them well prior.

I considered wrap type heating but the heat pad works so well in my Ferm Booth.

I am adding an optional heating element in to that environment that will work with the heat pad to boost the ambient inside the booth. Both being controlled by the STC. as well as the cooling side.

http://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/enclosure-heating-elements/2995714/?s...

This will add a bit of additional flexibility in temp control in the colder months or if needed.

Sharing another simple solution to a tedious part of beer making.  Bottle drying.

I found these simple plate racks at "'Storage Box' store in Newmarket , Auckland.  $14 each.

They hold 13 of my wire tops 750ml bottles... on the 16 rods.  ( I have 3 of these).

Would take take full compliment (16) of 500 and 330 bottles and 12 of the standard quart bottles.

Love it mate, I want one now!! can I ask where did you find those red grommets? and what size tubing is it? mean label making skills too.

Grommets are very standard from a home brew shop.  In my case Brew west (Mt Eden).

They are the same ones that come with plastic fermenters (Mangrove Jacks)

You need to drill  a 13mm hole with a blade bit for them. (Tight fit.)

Tubing is also kind of standard non toxic ( from same source).   ID 6mm ish, OD 10mm ish

Hey mate just sent you a friend request mate. I wanted to message you and ask you if you could pick up a couple of those red grommets you used on your fermenter mate, can't for the life of me find those ones, and that size. I will pay for them plus postage that would be awesome mate, as I want to try and fit two fermenters in my fridge and can't user air locks if I do. Cheers mate.

I am away down Martinborough way until Sunday.

I will sort this for you Monday.O.K?

Yeah sweet as. Cheers mate. That would be great!

p.message sent to you  Dazza.

Ian in the look out for a hop spider as you know, and considering making one now, or hoping someone has a spare one for sale. No luck yet, any suggestions on making one?
Cheers mate.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service