Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi All,
If you are planning on entering NHC this year please note that entries close at midday on Friday 30 October.
So what's everyone entering?

Thanks to our amazing sponsors we have the following prizes up for grabs this year:

- Champion Brewer: An Introduction to the World of Commercial Brewing which includes having one of the winner's champion beers commercially brewed and released nationwide thanks to BeerNZ.

- Champion Ale: brew your Champion Ale at Hallertau Brewery.

The judging will be held in Auckland on November 7th at The Fine Wine Company’s new Constellation Drive store.

After years of nurturing the competition in Hamilton Greig McGill has stepped back from the helm and we have a mostly new team of organisers pulling it together, but as always based on Phil Murray’s superb IT backbone. There are always a large number of volunteers behind the scenes and we couldn't do this without them.

This year we are back using the BJCP Style Guide which has been freshly updated for 2015 reflecting the new trends in beer styles. Head here BJCP 2015 for the full guide or check out the NHC website (nhc.soba.org.nz).

As always we are very grateful to our sponsors, without whose support we simply wouldn’t be able to run the competition. Please show your appreciation by supporting their businesses where you can.

All the best with your entries!!
(PS. I'll try my best to answer any questions, otherwise I'll find someone who does know the answer!)

Views: 1100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Get ALL the beers in! :)

Well yes... :)

I need to think about putting in my one entry at some stage

I've got a couple of NZ Pils to throw in, quite hoppy and dry hopped so a touch hazy, any thoughts on best category now 0D is gone?

Im in the same boat. Ive got an NZ pils with similar nose to a Panhead Pils/ Tuatara Pils.I reckon its really good but worried Ill get  crucified if I enter this as a German or Bohemian Pils  style as its got too much aroma. Any Thoughts which category would be best??

Yeah I'd like to enter but really struggling with all the category options...IE say I have a hazy PA where does that fall?

From memory the points allocated to appearance make up 3 out of a total 50, so I wouldn't be too concerned about any appearance deviations from the style guidelines when choosing where to enter things. 

Cheers that makes it easier to pick.

Just got my first beer bottle conditioning for this, thats if I work up the courage to enter it.

Do it!

Yeah seems very daunting hahahahaha.....But what you got loose 

Its my first go with wild yeast and this is only the second time I have bottled a blend from it. Will have to make a decision a couple of days before the comp when I get to crack a bottle open.

Oh and then there is the category issue

I'm no expert on the categories but to steal something Barbara has said many times - sit down with your beer and the style guidlelines and see what description best fits what you're drinking. Like Matt said, appearance doesn't count for much in the scheme of it and even if your beer looks and tastes amazing, it won't score well if it isn't a good match for the style.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service