Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi All
(Hopefully I didn't miss a thread here, I searched first!)
Just wanted to see if anyone has rhizomes available this year? I hear there is a shortage, however if there are any suppliers anyone knows of I would be keen to given them a go!

Maybe we can get a list of suppliers going? I see in the old forum that Stephen @ Hallertau may have been one of them, any ideas?

Cheers

Views: 17322

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pleasent suprize on new years day. I have my first flowers on the danscade.

Anyone else got flowers?

Ryan that Danscade is looking good

First pickings ready for drying.

Hi there

If you have spare seed or a rhizome coming up I would be keen to purchase or trade

cheers

Jason

To revive this thread, just wondering if people know where the best place to get a hold of some rhizomes is?

I hope it's still an acceptable time of year to be planting them?

Try here  http://www.countrytrading.co.nz/products/hopvines

Only smooth cone, but I dont think the average punter can get the good ones........

I'd love to get my hands on some too, I notice this site in the USA is selling non patented ones -  

http://www.homebrewing.org/Hop-Rhizomes-Available-for-Order_c_233.html

I don't think MAF would allow them into NZ tho,which is a great pity as they have a nice selection..

I find it strange that we cannot get the NON patented ones for sale over here apart from the smooth-cone variety..

While I can sympathise, MAF (now MPI) would certainly not let them in and with VERY good reason. The USA is crawling with a wide variety of nasty hop diseases. We don't know how lucky we are to be free of all major hop diseases here in NZ. Growing hops is fun, but not if your crop gets destroyed every year by mildews or hop stunt viroid.

In terms of varieties, there are some decent hops floating around e.g. Danscade for grapefruity, New World flavours, noble type hops like Kortegast and Goldings, and NZ classics like Sticklebract, Green Bullet and Smoothcone which are all good IPA hops if you do it right (e.g. Green Flash Green Bullet Triple IPA).

And when you're growing at home the variety is less important - most people find that growing your own hops is more rewarding for its intrinsic enjoyment than from a brewing perspective. Nine times out of ten regular pellets will give better results than homegrown cones.

But I would echo your point that it's strange we can't generally get non-patented varieties here (e.g. Cascade, Fuggle, Chinook). In the USA with the USDA breeding program all of their cultivars have always been public - you need only ask for them and they'd give you them.

Does anybody have any spare rhizomes they can part with? I have tried the usual sources but no luck. seems like this thread was quite active in the past and I'm keen to get into growing my own hops. Will definitely pay it forward!
I would be keen get hold of some danscade that was kicking around if anyone is keen to sell?

I'm keen as too - parents are building a place just over the hill from Motueka so it'd be rude not to get them stocked up with some bines.

Drove through Mot/Riwaka on the weekend & looks like some of the farmers have started turning the soil for new plantings so can't be long until shoots start sprouting...

Hey folks, I have some friends getting married in the Wellington area at the end of February. They are looking to get a hold of some plants to grow over a frame which they will end up getting married under. Is anyone from the wellington area able to get some, variety not important.

Cheers

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service