Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Here Is My Take on the Step by Step instructions for my first BIAB brew day!

This is an American Pale Ale 23litre batch.

1) Add 30Litres? of Strike water use hot water from tap to speed up the process, heat to a temp of 69-70c? aiming for 66c? mas temp

2) Turn off gas and add the grain bag, stir in the grains for a few minutes,

3) Put a lid on and insulate for 60min, checking every 15 min temp and stir.

4) Do a mash out? what temp and for how long? after the 60min?

5)Lift the grain bag out and allow to drain in to kettle then place in a bucket and then do a sparge water over grains, how much water? and at what temp? then add back to kettle.

6)Start hop boil for a 75 to 90min adding first hops addition after hot break 10min in to boil?

7) add Irish Moss somewhere in there?

8)At the last 10min of hop boil add the wort chiller to sanitize and then proceed to cool at end of boil.

9)cool the wort down to a temp of?

10) then transfer to the fermenter through the tubing in to a sieve to remove trub.

11) Aerate the wort then pitch yeast

12) put lid on and fit the air lock half filled with filtered water?

13) Clean up and have a beer or 2.

Can you guys please help me fill in the blanks where I have put a ? and add something that I have left out or not quite got right...that would be a massive help.

Cheers!!

Views: 352

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

70 degC strike temperature should get you in the ballpark of 67 degC. Make sure you give the water a good stir before measuring the temperature.

Cheers Andrew

I am nearly there with getting all my equipment together, only have to find a digital scales for weighing my hops and I'm there. In 4-5 weeks I'll need bottles and caps but for now can start brewing in a week probably next Sunday!!!!!! I will take photos to record my first brew day and take notes and write a blog on how I went. Then I will be able to call myself a Brewer and be a member of this elite culture! haha. Cheers to everyone that has made this day (coming up) possible.

Here's to you.

Daza. 

If you need to buy bottles the mill will sell you crates of empties at a pretty reasonable price.
Thanks Cain, I'll check them out. Fi you use one of those bottle trees for drying your bottles? Or are they a bit of a waste of money?

I keg now but no when I was bottling I just got out a couple of extra crates and put the clean bottles upside down in the spaces between the bottles in the crate. I'm sure a bottle tree would be great but I could never justify the expense. I would highly recommend one of these if you looking for something to make the bottle washing process a bit easier.

Today I got ready my wort chiller hose and did a test run of wort chiller works great no leaks! I also had to remove my BrewoMeter and use some thread tape on it and put back in as I detected a small leak yesterday when I was marking my gauge (metal-ruler) water levels as litres on ruler so I know where the 20 litre and 30 litre mark is and in between. All I need is for my burner to arrive, fill gas bottle and get me a digital scales for weighing hops and I'm starting!!!!!!!!!!!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service