Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi

I recently bought a temp control/fridge/coppertun heat pad for fermentation temp control. My fridge is out in the garage and it appears this particular heat pad isn't capable of generating enough heat in the current ambient temperature, even within the small space inside my fridge.

What is everyone else using as their heat source during these cold times?

Cheers
Ben

Views: 1326

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My light bulb wasn't cutting the mustard as a heat source last winter so I replaced it with one of those low wattage heaters that are made to go in an airing cupboard when you don't have a hot water cylinder. It would probably be more economical to buy a heat belt and use that as well as the pad but I had the heater lying around.

I brought a couple of these tubular heaters back with me last time I went to the UK:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Heating/d230/Electric+Heaters+%26+D...

They are 60W and 305mm long. Needs to have a NZ plug put on though.

I've got one in the bottom of my fridge:

Looks like a good solution, I've just found an NZ company (Argus) that make these too.

Cheers

Wow just been scanning that pic......So many questions about your setup hahahahaha

1. Who made the plastic shelf for your fridge.

2. What you got going on over your valves.

3. Whats that on the top with the wireless antennas.

4. What you got going on on the top of your fermenter.(airlock)

5. Is the fan on the same control as your controller

6. What controller are you using

Thats enough for now hahahahaha

Hey Nathan,

I made the shelf myself and it's painted plywood not plastic, so very strong.

My fermenter is a MaltMechanics 30L conical (Nick who designed and manufactures them is on this forum). It has 2 valves, a 1" valve right at the bottom for draining yeast and a 1/2" a bit higher up for transferring the beer.

At the top right of the fridge you can see my fermentation controller. I am using a BrewPi controller which is an open source system that uses the fridge air temperature and PID control to give a very stable temperature for the beer. I'm an electronics engineer so I built the controller myself but BrewPi recently released a new version with a touch screen. They're also in the process of modifying the system to do mash control as well. It has a wifi module and a web interface so you can log temperatures and set up fermentation temperature profiles etc. The probe poking out the top of the box is a room temperature sensor. It is just logged for interest and not used for the temperature control.Take a look:
https://store.brewpi.com
https://community.brewpi.com/

I've done a full write up on the build here on the old BrewPi forum:

http://forum.brewpi.com/discussion/663/dan-s-build

At the top of fermenter on the lid I have a blow-off and thermowell assembly. The thermowell puts my temperature sensor for my controller right down inside the beer so as to get an accurate reading.

The shelf is made of plywood and painted so nice and strong. The fan is controlled by the BrewPi controller.

Cheers yeah I been looking into a brewpi lately...Might have to invest

I have the same fermenter but was asking what you have covering the outlets??

Oh just some paper towels to catch any drips haha

Been using a travel hair drier for the last few months. Heats the air in the fridge and moves it about.

Works okay and seems to slowly heat the wort when required.

$19 at Briscoes when on sale so real cheap option.

Otherwise I use a heat belt.

STC-1000, fridge + copper tun heat pad in the garage. Maintains a steady 18 degrees +/- 0.3 degrees.

I only have the cooling output of STC-1000 connected during maximum fermentation activity at this time of year.

The heat pad seems perfectly capable of maintaining temperature during the frosty mornings we have had for the last week.

I have the heat pad leaning gently against the side of the fridge, not underneath the fermenter.

Maybe my heat pad is faulty, how warm does yours feel to the touch? When plugged directly into the wall mine feels a little more than tepid.

Bu design it will be fairly cool to touch. It is designed to work without temperature control so shouldn't get too much warmer than normal fermentation temperature range.

Thanks for all the replies. Think I'll have to postpone my next brew until I've got this sorted. Cheers.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service