Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Lads,

Where can I buy some 5mm I.D. silicone (or similar) tubing to complete my O2 delivery system for wort oxygenation?

Cheers

Views: 621

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just use vinyl tubing from bunnings post regulator, after a few uses I throw it out and cut off a fresh piece :)

Thanks guys. Vinyl it is. Can someone confirm if the 5.5mm vinyl tubing will fit the 5mm regulator for disposable O2 cyliners like this one http://www.thegasshop.co.nz/shop/CYLINDERS/Gas+Disposable+Cylinders.... Also - anyone know where I can find a cheaper cylinder and/or the regulator to suit?

Cheers

I have the cylinder and reg from the Gas Shop - was the best deal I could find for reliable gear.
Pure O2 can be very flammable so wanted something quality.

I use a short length of 1/4 John Guest hose (ID is about 4.3mm) on the regulator barb  - and a Guest joiner & barb to connect to a length of 6mm ID beer line which the barbed stone is on. Just what I had to hand.
5.5mm tube may be too big in my view for O2 under pressure (it's a small barb) unless you clamp it very hard. I didn't want to leak O2 for cost and safety reasons.

Thanks David. Sounds like a good setup. Where can I find the John Guest gear in NZ? 

Where are you?

Christchurch

Sorry am Auckland based so don't know local Christchurch outlets.

Many home brew shops, plumbing, hose or hydraulic suppliers do guest fittings. I got mine from brewers coop in Auckland (they do mail order).

Kegresources.co.nz have them on their site but I haven't sourced from them before.

Have been told the distributor is in Avondale in Auckland - patiki or rosebank rd - google them and they may ship to you. Was going to go and see them next time I needed fittings.

Guest fittings are a bit pricey but are damn good, don't leak and can dismantle lines for cleaning or reconfiguring. I use them for all my gas and beer lines. Might be overkill for this task but I had them spare and they worked.

here are links to the kegresources site so you can see the fittings I used - think I have picked the right ones.

1/4" OD polytube

5/16" - 1/4" Reducer

5/16" Equal Straight Connector

5/16 x 1/4 BSP Tube to Hose Straight

I use 6mm ID beer\gas  line (from a home brew store) from there to the stone.

For a cheap alternatively you could just get a brass 4mm barb to 6mm barb adapter from a hose or engineering shop to connect the 4mm and 6mm hoses - but you can't take it apart easily to clean.

If you go this route let me know and can post you a 10cm piece of 1/4 polytube as you only need it as a bridge. have some offcuts.

I like to be able to detach the hose and stone that goes in the wort from the gas line and that way I can easily clean and sanitize it without risk to the reg,etc.

Wind some stainless wire around the tube that goes in the wort to stiffen it- it floats a bit and being flexible is a pain to position.

This weekend I will add an oxygen flow meter inline that I got from aliexpress so I can set the flow rate - otherwise its a bit of a guess as to how much o2 is going in.

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot for all that. I'll have a think and get back to you. I really like the idea of a flow meter too.

Cheers

Aliexpress - flow meter

This is the flow meter I got. Haven't used it yet but cheap, fast delivery and looks fine.

if you can see big bubbles you have too much flow

fine bubbles is ok

Hi David,

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of your oxygenation setup would you? Just trying to get my head around how to set it all up. I may try and oxygenate in-line on the way to the fermenter using one of these:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-2-MPT-Oxygen-Stone-0-5-Micron-Kegg...

Seems easier in my head than having a wand in the fermenter.

I got one of those cheap flow meters like you but haven't used it yet. How do you find it?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service