Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

So, the new Gladfield Malts have been on the market for a while, and there haven't been many discussions of results, substitutions, etc. Maybe those of us using them can post some of our experiences? 

Views: 6246

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Further to this, has anyone noticed a change in their base malts since the new kiln was put it?

Care to share your brown ale recipe? I use Gladfield malts almost solely, I am keen to do a brown ale malt tomorrow!!  cheers

I have a good Hoppy Pale Ale recipe to share - all Gladfield malts (ale malt & pilsner malt) 

cheers

g

Yeah no worries, Brown Ale recipe HERE

All gladfields apart from the acid malt obviously, they haven't released theirs yet.

I was introduced to Gladfield's malts last year as free samples to distribute to my students in class for the short brewing course in Auckland.

We tried them in class by looking at the size, consistency , colour and of course chewing on them. I found that they were quite plump compared to another brand commonly used in Australia, and the flavour was quite different than I thought, probably more mild than I would have expected, especially the crystal malts. I think that these can be used to advantage because, as some of you have indicated on this forum, these malts create smooth tasting beers. 

The evenness and plumpness is impressive because it means that they will crack evenly in the mill leading to greater efficiencies and better lautering, and of course less astringency in the finished product, further leading to the smoothness of the beer. You need not mature the beer for long times to remove harshness perhaps. SO YOU CAN DRINK IT STRAIGHT AWAY.

Also, I think you can differentiate yourself from others that use the European brands. In the past it has been the yeasts, particularly the liquid yeasts and the hops.

Now you have at your disposal a third ingredient that you can get excited about.

These malts are now available in Victoria, Australia, and I'm sure they will become popular. I'm yet to use them but looking forward to "experimenting" with them.

Happy brewing and look me up when I come to NZ in August and October during the brewing courses. Would love to talk to you re your experiences.

Does anyone have any experience with their roasted wheat? I'm thinking of using it in a black IPA.

I've used it at 1.5% in a Red Ale. It would be a great choice for a Black IPA, obviously huskless as it is wheat, so it does a similar job to the de-husked carafa. The only downside is that its not very dark, comparable in colour to a british pale chocolate, so you'd probably have to use it in the region of 4 or 5 % to get your colour.

Yeah the paleness was my main concern. I was considering using it alongside some carafa special 2, maybe 3% carafa/4% roasted wheat (going off that 5% carafa is pretty standard on its own in this style). I'd rather go too dark than end up with a hoppy brown ale but will take a closer look at my recipe taking into account your advice. Cheers.

Hi, 

Love their products! I have had great results with gladiator as far as head and retention goes. Gabi, their sales rep is great to deal with, and really generous to our club with prizes for comps and the like.

A word of warning tho, their brown malt is a lot "browner" than others I have used, go real easy with it otherwise it will be over powering. Their malt exchange sheet suggest 1 : 0.08 exchange ratio, but I will be going 1 : 0.05

Nice to be able to use a kiwi made product with less food miles attached, and obviously it has to be fresher.

Has anyone brewed with their Lager Light malt? Would be interested to hear anyones experiences.

Hey Ben, I have just done 4 fake lagers with Gladfields Light Lager Malt, it is very "Munich" tasting compared to Pilsner base. Nice flavour but needs to be mixed with pilsner malt or is too much.

Thanks Mark.

I think I may keep it simple then and stick to 100% pilsner for my first lager attempt. Funny, I was thinking it would have less malt profile than the pilsner malt with it being lighter in colour.

Cheers.

Excuse me if this is a noob question.

As I've gotten into water adjustments, I've been using the 2 main spreadsheets available (EZ water calculator & bru'n water). Both of these are somewhat limited to either a Base, Wheat, Crystal or Roasted Malt.

My question is...where do these Gladfield malts sit in regards to this, I'm thinking mainly about Shepperds Delight and Aurora (but would welcome information on any or all of them), are these base malts, crystal or roasted?? I have used them sparingly so I assume they are a specialty malt instead of base malts??

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service