Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

What homebrew program are you using? - is it worth the money?

Views: 622

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ok so Beersmith seems like the way to go, so its DL the trial from beersmith website, which is activated to full program by the reg key from craftbrewer?.. and at $30 cheap!
Hey there,

I'm looking at getting some brewing software, but I've got a mac.... Have any of you guys used products from these guys?

http://www.kentplacesoftware.com/index.html
I can't help personally but there is some info here that might be worth a look:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/brewing-software-mac-101380/

It might be worth trying the BeerAlchemy free demo and decide for yourself.
I hadn't found Beer alchemy to be all that good at least compared to Beer Smith. What I do use is Homebrew Formulator which works just fine and its free, so long as you can get your head around working in imperial measurements

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20249/homebrew-formulator

If you need more, you can always run beersmith on virtual PC or some other emulator.
I got both beersmith and promash - I really like the little tools and calculators of promash but I perfer to make keep my recipies in beersmith.
Beertools is the way to go if you have a mac. I run it on PC and it is awesome.
Beertools isn't too bad. I tried it but after using Beersmith for so long I found the interface a little different confusing.

I like the idea of being able to sync BeerAlchemy with your iPhone - almost makes me want to get and iPhone...almost.

I have never used brewing software, but then I am just getting back to all grain brewing after years of basically being sidetracked onto distilling. I just downloaded a freeware program called Brewtarget 2.1 which looks as though it should be pretty good once our local grains, hops yeast etc. are added to the database.

I've just started using brewers friend on my phone- free app on android- does the job

I paid for beersmith and its worth every penny. Real easy to build recipes on, calculators are robust, ingredients are current (you can also add all gladfields malts with a plugin from the Gladfields website). Useful mash and boil timers.

Persnally there are a few niggles but on the whole its a great tool to keep you on track during brew day.

And it does water additions  BS all the way, learning new features every day, inventory , shopping list etc

cost of brew, not sure there is much it does not do.

It doesn't in my opinion calc FG well as you alter mash temp for a given yeast, but hey there has to be some black art left in the process

Having now bought BeerSmith 2 I have to agree - it is both awesome but also a little daunting! I'm struggling to understand the various terms, abbreviations and how to use them. Where to get information such as "mash tun specific heat"; IBU/%IBU. Hell when I was all-grain brewing years ago I just followed a recipe and adapted it from brew to brew without all this technical stuff. I guess I will just have to play with BS for a bit before I use it but the other thing is where to get the ingredient information  for local grain, yeast & hops to add into the data base?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service