Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Does anyone here have experience dry hopping beers in the keg after carbonation?

I've tried it a couple of times and always seem to get a tannic, tea type flavour coming through in the beer.  It's not unpleasant but it certainly not what I was going for.  I've tried it cold (4C) and warm (22C) and seem to get the same result.  I always do it with pellets in a muslin bag.

Could it be that carbonated beer extracts more tannins from the hops during dry hopping?

I'm interested in any thoughts or experiences.

Cheers!

Views: 482

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You could try a randall to get a blast of aroma and flavour from your keg.

I have dry hopped after the fact once, i bled the pressure over time to ensure that foaming was kept to a minimum. The hops will cause nucleation when added to carbonated beer.

You have to make sure you boil your muslin bags and its all sanitary.

i didn't get tannin flavours from it. (do you add a ping pong ball so the hops float on top or do you let it sink to the bottom?

Might be the proximity to the outlet.

Hope that helps

Thanks Chris.

I always boil the bag first and add a ping pong ball to keep it afloat.  I also remove it after 5 days.  Foaming has never been a problem for me.

I've tried this a few times. It probably depends on the hop type but you'll get a burst of polyphenols with pellets in particular that will give a bit of astringency. It usually seems to mellow with time. Maybe try less, around 20-40g should be heaps but depends on what you like of course.
I've tried just submerging the bag and tying the bag to the dip tube so it only gets a few days contact as you drink it. Works well.

I've become quite a convert to dry hopping in the keg with a stainless mesh ball. The small 5 cm ones seem to work well for me I just half fill to give the pellets room to expand. I just wash then starsan and chuck in when kegging. I've had them in for a number of weeks without getting grassiness. I may not have the best palate of course but I do think I've noticed grassiness with dry hopping too long in the fermenter.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service