Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Anyone have experience with Wyeast 2565?

I'm fermenting a 1.050 psuedo Pilsner using this yeast and it seems to have stalled.  It started off with a hiss and a roar, even foamed out the airlock for a couple of days. First week of fermentation was at 17C and temp is now up to 20C.  It has a good looking krausen about 3cm thick but it hasn't changed over the past week.  It's been fermenting for 2 weeks now  and doesn't seem to be progressing.

Anyone experienced this behaviour before and have any advice?

Cheers!

Views: 251

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What's the gravity?

as barry said, what the gravity?
I've used it once, fermented fine, what sort of temp did you ferment at?
i found it pretty reliable, although it does take forever to finish up, i had it in 4weeks before it reached where i wanted it to.

Gravity is down to 1.010 at 20C which converts to 1.011.  Seems like its pretty much done as far as the gravity's concerned.

Fermentation started at 17C and slowly rose to 18C over the first 11 days.  Then up to 20C for  3 days.

I'm happy to crash cool it & keg it but a little concerned about green apples.

What final gravity were you expecting? Taking into account grist, mash temp, original gravity?

Does it taste like green apples?

nice, 1.010 is about where mine ended up. mine was 3-4 weeks before I bottled, and a week of that was cold conditioning.
so I'd give 3 weeks then a slightly extended cold conditioning phase. maybe 3 weeks or so, should make life easier?

What was your mash profile? I love this yeast. I pitch it around 15C, climbing to 17C, with a VDK rest at 18C. It expresses a beautiful delicate pear ester and lets the malt shine through, and it's usually done for me inside 7 days. I'm wondering whether your mash temp might have been in "no man's land" 68-69C and given it a complicated mix of longer chain sugars to try to chomp its way through, hence the slow finish.

Here's the grain bill:

88% German Bo Pils

4% Melanoidin

2% Aromatic

7% Carapils

75 min mash at 64-65C

Sounds fine. Pitch rate?

Pitch rate calculated as 0.99M cells / mL / °P

Fresh smack pack and a 1.2L starter for a 21L batch.  A little low maybe but I thought it would be OK based on prev experience.

The krausen has completely fallen away now and the beer tastes good.  Planning on chilling it tonight and kegging in time for new year.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service