Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Does anyone know if any NZ brewers are (or have tried) using a product called Brewers Clarex in their beer? It's a stabilizing / clarifying enzyme that can be added to the brew that has the added effect of breaking down the gluten in the malt. So it makes traditional malt beer gluten free.

Views: 867

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Nick.

I have heard a similar description for White Labs Clarity Ferm so maybe someone has used that for a similar result.

The Basic Brewing Radio podcast had an episode on it too:

September 4, 2014 - Clarity Ferm Gluten Reduction Experiment

Dr. Chris Hamilton of Hillsdale College talks about his experiment attempting to make practically gluten free beers using Clarity Ferm from White Labs.

iTunes | Streaming mp3

Cheers

Aarad

I read about this on bus this am after seeing a huttbrewer post this morning, getting some to put in a US Pale Ale for a friend at work who is intolerant but can cope with a bit of gluten, known recipe to see if it changes the taste in any way.   It will be a big thing if it doesn't as so many people would rather be reducing there Gluten intake.

Thanks Peter! I'm interested to hear how the brew goes. I'm gluten intolerant but don't really notice too many ill-effects from beer, though I do wonder what they might be doing to my stomach long-term. Especially my recent love of IPAs, DIPAs and TIPAs (more malt = more gluten?)!
I've recently gone shares in a Williams Warn machine, so will look at adding Clarity Ferm...

Cheers Aarad. I see that the brew shop sell Clarity Ferm locally. I'm going to give it a try. I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but will do so.

I've brewed with clarity ferm and a gluten sensitive friend had no problem with the resulting beer. No effect on flavour that I could discern and not very hazy, but I usually correct pH and recirculate the mash anyway. I think my remaining tube is past expiry date now, but I would have liked to try a batch for my bonafide coeliac friend.

There is some weird distribution arrangement when I checked that means that you had to buy it from a North American retailer rather than anyone stocking it locally.

The Brew Shop has it for sale online. Have you tried them? http://www.brewshop.co.nz/brewing-other/clarity-ferm.html

We have some in the shop here Douglas, the White Labs one that is. 

My Clarity Ferm is here going in the citra amarillo pils

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service