Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

What light beer to brew if you dont have temperature control?

I dont have the temp controlled fridge as yet and am looking for an all grain  recipe of a very light ale or even a pilsner/lager recipe that turns out well with dry ale yeast. One style I am interested in is a steam beer, anyone had any experience with this?

Cheers

Mark

Views: 524

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kolsch?  That was my first all grain experience about this time last year, actually.  I asked the same question because I didn't have a temp controller then and I was told that current ambient temp in the shed should be about right to make a Kolsch.  The recipe I was given was 95% Pilsner Malt, 5% Munich Malt, Kolsch Ale yeast and a noble hop for bittering.  I used Spalt from memory.  I left it in the shed for three weeks, one towel just to try and keep a reasonably consistent temp and it worked a treat.  Really light, really fresh tasting and quite easy.

Thanks Richard, that seems worth a try. This will be my first all grain brew as well. Peter Smith was kind enough show me a Deebles Pale Ale brew on his AG kit. I will be using my mates Farra when he has his fermenters full. Other recipe I am thinking about is a California Common though probably simplify this recipe and halve the volume and use US-05

Steam Beer
California Common Beer

Type: All Grain
Date: 7/16/2009
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Brewer: Kyle Alberda
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
16.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.19 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
1.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Northern Brewer [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 22.9 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [7.00 %] (20 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [7.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [7.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
3 Pkgs California Lager (Wyeast Labs #2112) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.48 %
Bitterness: 32.1 IBU
Calories: 245 cal/pint
Est Color: 11.5 SRM

I've read elsewhere on this forum that Victory malt is hard to find in NZ.  Will be keen to see which brew you go for.  I'm a fan of keeping it as simple as possible.  The one complicated recipe I tried didn't go so well.  I tend to go for fewer ingredients and trying to find the right flavours that way.  It's also partly aimed at reducing costs...but yeah, go for the one you want to try!

I've been told that Victory can be subbed out for biscuit.

I got some Victory malt from Brewerscoop last month.  

I have an expertise experience in steam beer. What would you need ?

About a month ago I brewed a SMaSH pilsner using Pilsner malt and Saaz hops and US-05 yeast that turned out great nice and clear and light in colour not so light in alcohol it was 9% but drinks like 4% beer 

Granted I have temp control but this was fermented at 20degC and was fine the yeast must have been very happy to ferment out to 9% Id brew it again and plan on doing so, Just gotta drink it a bit slower next time round

I am currently trailing a partial mash Pils that I have used Workhorse for so will let you know how it goes. 

If you have no temp control and it is getting too warm for ales, try a saison. Really nice and dry with spicy flavours. 

Be interested to see how that goes Paul. I havent tried the Workhorse yeast as yet. I'm yet to get my palate around saison's....

By the way Paul, congratulations for your Best in Class.

I would go with a saison where if you get some fruity esters from unregulated fermentation it will add to the beer

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service