Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Wasn;t intentional but I froze almost solid 2L of 007 and 1272 slurry,   I pitched 1L of the 007 into a stout about midnight last night after carefully unfreezing ,  found out I had the issue as I was brewing...    

Super oxygenated wort, lets see how hardy the little critters are....  probably not recommended.

Views: 202

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Any luck?

yeah good ferment,  it was a massive pitch and the icy stuff was 95% solid...  probably not going to repitch this will taste the beer...  have not gravity tested yet but I am pretty convinced its ok and finished near target

Lesson learnt

I'd imagine the freezing ruptured a fair few of the little critters. I'd be really interested to hear if there are noticeable autolysis (meaty/marmitey) notes in the fresh beer?

Yeah I thought about that but didn't have too many options...... I had all the grains, not that many hops so was pretty invested by the time I found the frozen yeast...    007 is normally very clean for me, it should be very noticeable, I also used a lot less choc in this batch as I wanted a more roasty stout this time, tried to mash high at 69C but my uninsulated 50L tun struggled to hold temps (first use)   I will taste, gravity and report back tonight, mmmmm may have to add some boiled marmite and call it a Marmite stout...  or add some brett bugs and leave it for a year...   I try not to dump batches.

can you freeze us05 dry yeast while dry?

If there's no moisture at all remaining in the cells, it should be fine. I'm not sure if that's the case though. I suspect it'd still be a lot safer than freezing liquid yeast, given even liquid yeast can be safely frozen in a glycerol solution.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service