Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

We have chickens and compost both of which love spent grain but after trying Mash tun crackers the Mrs decided to try some other baking. brooklyn brew shop have lots of good recipes most of which involve drying the grain and grinding it to flour but we have made the Spent Grain Cheddar Scones a couple of times with grain strait from the tun, I've got some cooking for lunch now.

Anyone else putting by products of brewing to good use?

Views: 528

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Me and the Mrs have tried spent porter grain in a bread recipe, and we have made APA dog treats. If I remember correctly I enjoyed the dog treats more than the bread.

I know its probably just the mash but I'd be bloody careful with hops and your dog - from Wikipedia:

Hops

Hops, a plant used in making beer, can cause malignant hyperthermia in dogs, usually with fatal results. Certain breeds, such as Greyhounds, seem particularly sensitive to hop toxicity, but hops should be kept away from all dogs. Even small amounts of hops can trigger a potentially deadly reaction, even if the hops are "spent" after use in brewing.[36]

Yeah just the mash no hops, I don't let the dogs drink my beer, just selfish I guess

My last brew my brother in law was visiting from Oz and proceeded to have a good old feed on just the spent grains.He said it reminded him of when he lived in Canada, I lived there and never had meal of grain hahahahaha

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service