Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

We spoke about creating a discussion so people who have or people who are thinking about and/or building can share pic's info and pitfalls to avoid.

Just about finished building my bench and hopefully will have a chance to start wiring it up this weekend. Pics to follow shortly.

Views: 19887

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And the diagram...

Attachments:

Do not wire a plug onto the end of a cable with a plug at the other end. Things like this are commonly referred to as suicide leads.

Get a panel mount L6-30 plug and wire a L6-30R receptacle onto the end of the power cable.

Ah Andrew beat me to it. What he said.

Those relays look like they'll be fine. I ordered 2 similar ones but was supplied 120A versions. 

Wiring diagram looks great, except for two things.

One of these is a major!!! Please don't use a male plug going into a female socket as the main power into your system. As soon as you plug that orange plug into the wall, the brass pins on the NEMA plug at the other end will be live. This is a massive safety risk, you really can't do this.

The other thing is, the Little Brown Pump is 12VDC, if you want it to plug into your control panel you'll have to find a transformer and DC power supply, and probably a different plug/socket arrangement. Personally I'd just buy another AC pump, a Chugger or something.

Also, assuming it's just because you got those images off theelectricbrewery.com but instead of the XLR canon jacks for the PIDs I'd just make sure you buy the deluxe cables from Auber. No fiddly soldering required!

Thanks guys, was just going to have power cord going straight into the box through a gland but at the last minute added the L6-30/L6-30R to the diagram without thinking about it. Definitely not going to use the M-M power cord, will use a much safer method! 

Little brown pump - was just going to wire it up to an old AC adaptor with 12VDC 1A output.

You're right Barry, just got the XLR images off theelectricbrewery, am going to use these connectors from Auber.

FWIW my cable in goes directly into the panel through a gland, securely fastened inside with a couple of cable ties. The tail has a male plug like this on it.

If you buy the deluxe cables they come with all those connectors pre-soldered.

Haha I accidentally ended up getting these SPDT (JQX-62F) relays, when I wanted these DPDT (JQX-62F-2Z) relays. The benefits of hindsight...

Either is fine for switching elements on & off - theelectricbrewery.com uses DPDT relays (as DPST) to switch phase and neutral, but with SPDT you wire up neutral and switch phase.

The electric brewery setup for US power switches 2 Phase lines of 120V each single pole relays are perfectly fine for use in our systems by switching the phase as you have said above.

Has anyone tried one of these yet? What kind of power supply are you using?

US Solar Pump TD5

An old 17v dell laptop power supply

Cheers. Looks like a good value option for whirlpool and wort transfer duties.

And quick delivery! Ordered last Tuesday afternoon and it arrived this morning.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service