Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

http://www.grainfather.com/

Mangrove Jacks new all grain unit - its nice

Views: 31931

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmmmm.... I need a new HLT... I wonder if the wife would notice this arriving.

Why is it that some people can send something like this nationwide for $10-15 but if I try to send it then it costs $100!

Getting slightly off topic... but you have to watch those urns as some of them are much less capacity than stated.

One of these and a keg would make a better option: 

http://www.5stardistilling.net/weldless-2400w-element-guard/

http://www.5stardistilling.net/weldless-3600w-element-guard/

The 3600w would have it boiling away nicely.

Yeah only 22 litre capacity from a 28 litre urn. Why not just call it 22.....

I've bought one of those 28L units from GTMall for $79. Been 11 days and it still hasn't turned up. :(  They claim it was sent but they "forgot" to record the tracking number. Today they confirmed they would send me "another" unit. If you can hold fire I can give you feedback before you buy from this vendor.

The MJ unit will sell for $199 so a trademe urn does make more sense. Besides - who wants to stare longingly at their Grainfather for 6 weeks waiting for the MJ urn to turn up.

Thanks John, I was going to bid soon so will wait for your feedback. Appreciated.

Hey John I ended up buying a 38L urn off another trader on trademe. Actual capacity 28L. I decided to go a bit bigger so if I was making a high abv beer I could second sparge into another vessel for a low abv brew.

My unit turned up this morning. I guess the $79 price is a good reflection on the quality of this unit - not the best. Will have to give it a test run tonight to verify 22L capacity and operation.

I guess I only need it for warming up sparge water for single batches so inexpensive price, capacity around 20L, no leaks and ok-ish accuracy of thermostat is what I was after.

Looks like it'll be a great system.
To me it seems that as above, the "Pot" is slightly too small which is why they ask to sparge etc. so no chance of doing a BIAB no sparge, which to some degree is why people do BIAB to cut down on the time involved. but that's just me, so as peter said right system right person.
I'd love a 50-60 Litre version to be able to no sparge as per my normal process...

Anatomy of the Grainfather 

Attachments:

If 2000watts gets the job done, being able to run it off a standard 10 amp outlet is a huge plus. Most systems seem to need 15 amp power at least. Will be interested to see if early adopters think its under powered.

Good Point Cain. as its only a max o

What sort of time would you expect 25 litres to go from mashing temp up to rolling boil? Is that what you are getting at, that it may be slow?

Here's the specs from my Cater Master 40 litre 2kw Urn that I used to use - will be a somewhat useful comparison I guess as it's a 2kw element. Was a test with 37 litres (before I realised that I'd never be heating that much water) so the specs will be slower than what you would get with 25 litres.  Note that the rise from mash out (78 degrees) to boil was over an hour - it got to 95 quickly then took forever to get over 100.

Make: Cater Master
Model: TT-WB26
Capacity: 40 litres

Start volume: 37.5 litres 
Start temp: 21 degrees
Time to 70 degrees: 71 minutes
Total Temp Rise: 49 degrees
Time per degree: 1 minute 26
Temp after 60 mins mash: 64 degrees
Temp after 90 mins mash: 61 degrees
Temp drop: 1 degree per 10 minutes
Time to 78 degrees (from 70): 14 mins 29 sec
Time per degree: 1 minute 45 approx
Time to boil (100 degrees) from mash out: 62 mins
Time per degree (to 100): 2 minutes 48
Total time to rolling boil from 70: 76 minutes

Notes:
Testing with water only, no grains, bag, or insulation used. Therefore the mash temperature drop wouldn't be as big.
Roiling boil achieved with lid half off.
Achieved boil and turned off, as no point wasting electricity by boiling for 60 - 90 mins.
Started when air temp was 25 degrees and dropped to 16 by finish.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service