Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70871

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

sorry just reread shep delight not special b, ignore those comments above.  

I've not had Rogers, but I suspect your version may be a little dark for an Amber...is that 31 SRM or EBC?

It looks nice to me...that's a pretty decent hop bill for a small beer, but yup, sounds tasty to me!

Some advice I got recently was to just use a little bit of Carapils for the extra sugar for mouthfeel and body - personally I wouldn't use 6 grains for an amber. I'm not an expert but I can't help wondering if CaraMunich, Crystal 80 AND Special B might not be overkill for such a small beer - has the potential to be TOO caramel and perhaps a little cloying. Otherwise, go for it - keen to hear how it works out - I'm aiming for something similar myself soon!

The colour is EBC - I was aiming for a hoppy mild in the style guidelines rather than an amber, agree with you regarding the number of grains but was going round in circles trying to decide what to pull out so thought I would throw it out for comment

I love the idea!  What about dropping the Munich, CaraMunich and Special B and adding a touch of carapils?  Keep it simple.  Up the crystal a touch if you want a but more caramel.  I used carahell in my amber, but mostly cos it was just on hand.  I think, if I make it again, will likely go back to basics, base, crystal, carapils and something for a bit of colour.

uk ales often use torrified wheat instead of carapils for a bit body and head retention.

Dont know what LC does.

Hey fellow brewers, I'm about to do my second ever BIAB brew and want to try a SMaSH beer and have already purchased my grain and hops for this but would like to get some input as to if this is actually gonna be ok, as I'm still real green as to what grains hops bring to the table,I got it off beersmith.

8kg NZ Pale Malt(Malteurope)

22g Pacific gem @ 60mins

22g Pacific gem @ 30mins

22g Pacific gem @ 5mins

30g Dry hopped

US-05 yeast

Plan to make 23ltrs into FV

I'm gonna no-chill cube it so plan to move my hop schedule forward 20mins so will be putting the final 22g in the cube

Does this sound like an ok brew?

Beersmith says that will approach 1.068 ish depending on vol losses.   I would pitch 2 rehydrated us05 packs (or even more preferable a decent repitch of live us05 from under a batch of beer), what mash temp will you aim for?   way keen to see how this goes as I have 100g of pac gem and was wondering what to do with it, will be trying some in my next low alcohol stout..   there are so many conflicting accounts of this hop out there be great to see some decent NZ based feedback on it in a smash, Scarfie tells me it goes real well in a Bitter with NZ S Goldings late and others have agreed after trying so it must have a clean bitterness.

Was gonna shoot for the normal 66deg for 60mins......I will keep you up to date as to what gravity i get i knew it was gonna be highish BS says it will come in at 6.5ABV but I dont focus to much on gravity readings yet still just trying to make decent beer for now.....Was just checking my yeast stores today and I do have two packs of US05 on hand..So will pitch both.Gonna ferment at 19.4deg, I norm crash cool before kegging

So I made this today.....Hit my gravities spot on was about 0.5ltrs short on volumes,Smell was amazing going into chill cube very citrus'y .........Will keep you posted,....8kgs is a huge amount of grain to add to a 23ltre brew only just fitted in my pot.

Hi team,

I've been wanting to brew an English IPA for some time. Here's what I've come up with... some non traditional ingredients in there, but the gist is the same. Would be keen to get feedback on it before I commit to the 23L batch :)

Recipe: The League of GentlemenBrewer: Darren Wood
Style: English IPA

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 11.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 49.1 IBUs
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type
5.45 kg Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain
0.52 kg Gladfield Medium Crystal Malt (55.8 SRM) Grain
0.32 kg Gladfield Biscuit Crystal Malt (31.5 SRM Grain
0.19 kg Wheat, Torrified (Thomas Fawcett) (2.0 S Grain
19.45 g Pacific Jade [13.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 Hop
1.22 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining
38.90 g NZ Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil Hop
38.90 g NZ Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop
25.93 g NZ Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Steep Hop
25.93 g NZ Fuggle [4.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 Hop
1.0 pkg British Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1335) [124. Yeast
20.00 g NZ Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Dry Hop

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge (68.9C 60m)

I like it!  I brewed my first IPA recently and decided to go with English style.  Only difference in grist is I used Amber Malt instead of biscuit, but can't say that would make a massive difference. You have slightly higher specialty to base malt ration than I used, but I don't know much of a difference it will make.  Hops looks good, tho I used Target for both bittering and dry hop along with NZ Goldings and Willamette (subbed for Fuggles).  Mine turned out really nice - so really, got nothing to else to add, look forward to hearing how it turns out. 

Looks tasty. I'd say watch that Biscuit malt though, unless you want it to be fruity malty. I brewed an American amber with 4.1 Gladfield Biscuit. The grain smells like an asian food store and I think it gives it quite a fruit cake like malt flavour. Not quite what I wanted in an Amber. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service