Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Perforated stainless steel sheet suitable for false bottom

I have a left over piece of perforated stainless steel. It is about 500x500mm large and the perforations are 2.4mm Holes at 3.6mm Centres. I reckon you could use this for a chilly bin or a pot setup. I was hoping for $45 if you're willing to pick up from Parnell or Kohi in Auckland.

For a pot you could just cut it with snips then bolt a handle on, or do what I did and get a sheetmetal place to spot weld it.

Here is an example of the result: (this is my mash tun...not for sale of course).

Views: 1986

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Reuben, Barry hear from Leigh. If you still have the sheet I'll buy it from you. Cheers Baz
Oh hey mate!! Yeah no worries. I'll be up over the weekend. It will cost you a look around your brewery :)

Hi Reuben, sorry for reincarnating an old post, but I'm interested in where you got this sheet from? I'm after some myself for a DIY false bottom.

Cheers for any info!

Chris

I get mine laser cut up in Silverdale and my local engineers in Glenfield domes them for me.  Laser cuttings was$40 for 2 discs and domed cost me a few beers

North Shore Laser Cutting
False bottom, laser cut, 340mm dia with 1mm wide laser cut slots.

North Shore Laser Cutting,
23 Peters Way,
Silverdale
ph: 09 421 9073
Carol Sumner
sales@oscs.co.nz

Does that work out cheaper Peter than these ones? You got one of these didn't you?

http://www.homebrewing.org/12-Stainless-Steel-Domed-False-Bottom_p_...

I am not sure if you want one cut for a standard mash tun like a cooler, maybe better/cheaper to buy a production run, but If you cutting for a trademe pot of unusual size the laser guys look a good option to me,  I am changing horse mid race and moving to a 50L keg mash tun vs a 10 gal cooler, so I can load up more if I want to do bigger batches.    

I am also developing a soft spot for polished stainless...

here is my 10 gal cooler $1 reserve

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=761231508&ed=true

I have just ordered all my keg polishing kit, I will start a thread and post some photos once it gets here, all nz suppliers.

Yeah I'm thinking along the same lines, getting the same size pot and a false bottom. Tempted by a Blichman and their awesome cavity/false bottom setup but of course they're spendy.

I went with the cooler approach when I thought I was getting just the 1 pump I ordered. Everything changed when 2 arrived. 

I should really get the thing working with the cooler though before I consider upgrades though right? Ha bloody homebrewers, never satisfied, always tinkering.

I have decided the recon , polished 50L kegs are a good way to go barry, they have very good resale, and are a lot cheaper then blichman, I am going to silver braze all the fittings so everything is welded, hope no leaks ever again,  So many brewdays have been swear fests at my house due to crap elements, leaking taps / sight glasses, I am over it, and this crap wont scale up to bigger batches.

Will use the igloo sales funds to buy this off karl at all grain

http://allgrain.co.nz/product_info.php?cPath=14_16&products_id=...

The biggest one for me is that I will be simply able to whip out a polishing wheel and clean up any minor issues.  I am also seriously considering a RIMS setup so that my HLT temp can be fully independant of mash tun requirement, I like Pauls (Time4Another1)  setup a lot, and Scott B runs a small pot herms as well as his big pot HLT.  I am really like Adams idea of the plumbed in stainless chiller in the boil kettle, if I can get my hands on a stainless coil from a scrappie.

If I have learnt anything ist that buying/building good gear normally saves you $$ in the longer term as you don't come back to replace it later.

The biggie for me will not be kit, it will be lining my garage mancave to make the entire place more sanitary....

Spoke to S&T, but they only supply full 2000x1000mm sheets. They referred me to Sefar (some guys in Onehunga who make filters) and I picked up an offcut. 2mm holes, 1mm thick. Might help someone in the future.

Good stuff cheers mate.  Years ago since I bought mine but not a sheet that big, might have been Mico Metals but they have changed hands to Wakefield metals and not sure they stock it any more.

If you want it domed give us a shout or hit it up your local fabricating engineers and be wary drilling into thestuff if you need to make a big hole.  

Out of interest how much was a 2x1m sheet?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service