Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Look at these great beers

http://www.drinkmallinsons.co.uk/our_beers.htm

Why are there so few (yes there are some but not many) low ABV beers in NZ?

Views: 987

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Perhaps 2 - 3 times the ingredients and excise, however it would require the same amount of brew day labour, perhaps a slightly shorter fermentation time, same amount of packaging labour and resources etc, so once it his the shelf or the taps it might not be twice as cheap to produce.

I do agree though, they shouldn't be priced at just a token amount less than the 6% APA on the tap next to it. If I could buy $6.50 - $7.00 pints of a really well made, flavourful 3.8% beer at the pub I'd definitely be going for a session more often.

you still going to use same amount of dry hops. maybe a kg = $40 less hops in bittering. freight bill still the same, yeast bill same. malt would be $400 cheaper on a 1000 litre batch. excise about $700 cheaper. about $50 cheaper on a 50l keg I guess. should be .50cents cheaper a pint lol.

but yeah i'm all for the English beer movement. just it won't be that much cheaper than an ipa to produce..

there are a lot of real ales in the uk in the 3.20-3.8 quid per pint price range, is excise a lot lower in the uk?   this other issue is in downtown AKL they sell green bottle piss at $9 each......   so its a survival pay the rent story...

Looks like the ingredients count for very little.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/capital-life/the-beerhive/9547...
I wasn't looking for cheaper pints, though I'm not opposed to that, was looking for more variety. At the vulture I was told the low % beers take 2~3 times as long to sell a keg

This is the answer I have got from a couple of craft beer pubs here in Chch as well. Maybe if the low alcohol beers were not almost the same price as drinking a big IPA then more people would buy the lower alcohol beers and the keg would go quicker. As an aside I think Hugh at Hopscotch mentioned that Lowrider (2.7% but with big hops) is one of his best selling beers?? Maybe takeaway to drink at home sells differently to "out for a few beers".

Was at the Vulture last night for a quickie, everything was 6% or above.     No worries, if I can get hold of some northern brewer hops after work,  I am going to do a lowish 4.5% english bitter with Ringwood 1187 Ale tonight.  

Where is your goto brew supplies Peter? I go to ebrewcraft opposite Gilbraiths but they are ok for hops but no good for grain.

I get ingredients off brewerscoop and home brew west.   This is mainly due to the fact that they will probably have what I am after, and it has a chance of being fresh.   Hardware has been mainly trademe, brewshop and aliexpress. Its interesting that split , I shop mainly hardware online, as there is generally better pricing online (direct from manufacturer = less markup and often no gst if china ie disconnects etc).    I reckon its worth sharing the love around a bit as it means a better range of product overall.

Its a pretty competitive market and we home brewers are known to be well tight....

At home I can run 2 kegs. I usually have one 4% or less quaffer on one tap and then a 6% or more big flavour thing on the other tap. Seems to work well.

With the new blood alcohol / driving limits being introduced later this year (Dec 14?) -  I can see a real market opening up for lower ABV beers, having two full strength IPA  crafty numbers will certainly see you land a $250 fine and/or void your insurance cover!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service