Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Slightly off topic but moderately related to beer and the ethos of making food from scratch.... I'm wondering if anyone can offer any advice (or links) on how to go about curing and smoking pork hocks, bacon and hams.

We've just got hold of a pig which I'm keen to put to good use and to give my kids a taste of decent home cured bacon without all the water and other rubbish most commercial pork products have in them. 

Has anyone had experience in doing this themselves or know good info sources?

I'm particularly interested in:

- what preserving products to use (salts, herbs, spices, wood species for smoking etc)

- where to get hold of them in NZ

- what to watch out for to prevent botulinum toxin and other such nastiness

- how to ensure the correct storage conditions

Cheers All

Views: 2580

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the pointers Barbara - good advice on removing the skin and fat.  I spoke with the local butcher during the week who recommended the dry cure approach and offered a small portion of salts if I couldn't get hold of them.  I'm piecing together bits and pieces to build a cold smoker and will get back once I've got them all together.  Fully impressed that you've raised the pigs yourself.  I'll look up Hugh's show and website - have heard of it and always good to see it done 'in the flesh' .  Cheers and looking forward to making some good home smoked smallgoods.  If I get this right also keen to have a go at salami/ metwurst et al.

I make heaps of home cured bacon, pancetta, salami and air dried sausages, if you are still looking for tips Tilt give me a shout and I'll talk you through it.  Not difficult at all and as you say, its very similar to making beer in many respects.  If only all my beers tasted so good haha!

Just seen this post Liam - and thanks for the offer.  The set up's running now.  After a few tweaks on the smoke generator it gives up to 12hrs of continuous running, and have tried a few bits of pork.  I've also tested a few different woods - with manuka still being the fave so far.  We're looking at doing some smoked malt soon too.

But the real aim for me is to get into the more exotic smoked meats - salami, pancetta, coppa, chorizo et al.  I'm definitely keen to find out more from a bloke whose done it.  It'd be good to pick your brain a bit.

Pick away mate, nothing to tricky in any of it - nothing harder than making a perfect beer anyway...

I have to look at making a new smoker, I need one that will hold more full length salami.  One more project to add to the list haha

Cheers Liam, thanks mate.

Beginners questions only from me as I'm just dipping my toe in so far.

• How much draft do you reckon there should there be in the smokehouse?  My generator pushes out a mild flow of smoke and the vent hole (no chimney) I've made lets out a fine wisp.  Does there need to be a moderate rate of air/smoke movement to get the right flavor profile? 
  • Can you recommend a reference book?  I've got hold of Charcuterie as suggested by Haish and its damn good but there seem to be dozens of others out there and I'm keen to read up - any faves you'd suggest?
  • Have you cured without Nitrite?  Theoretically its possible but I'm wondering if its worth the risk.
  • Whats your fave woodchip - do different woods lend themselves to different types of smallgood?

Sorry to bombard you there and thanks for any advice you're keen to share.

Hey Tilt,

Regarding the draft on a smoke house I'm not entirely sure.  Mine has quite a large draft with slots at the bottom and top.  Its a bit tricky as every smoker runs differently so its really a case of working with the one you have until your happy with it.  I don't have a damper on mine so the air flow is fixed.  I don't think you want to pack the smoke in or you'll end up with a lot of soot on your meat which is a carcenagen. You really want the clear hazy smoke as thats what contains the flavour.

Building smokers is not something I have done a lot of.  Mine is a bought one, I just made the control box so I could manage the heat - its electric which is really nice to work with for smoking. 

http://ruhlman.com/my-books/

I'd fully recommend this fellas book on Charcuterie and read it from cover to cover.  Its a great primer and will explain everything from start to end.  Easy to read and the recipes start part way which is cool if you want to stop reading and try making something.  My other books are all professional books with recipes etc but no explanation on what to do, not very helpful unless you have a good grasp of whats going on.

I have tried a few meats without nitrites but we have cooked them and not left them long before eating.  Anything good I use nitrite, it adds a good flavour to the meat along with colour and of course some protection from giving your mates botulism :p  I use almost all the time, especially if I am making salami or chorizo and want to hang them to dry out.  Bacon is poor without it.

Favourite wood is Pohutikawa by far, I use shavings from a mate of mine that turns wood, no oil in it so you need to know whoever is doing it and that they are careful.  Pohutikawa is a really nice mild and mellow smoke, imparts really well with fish and pork but you have to smoke heavily for beef and red meats like venison.  Oak and Manuka are really good with these meats, Cherry is good with salmon and trout but a little sweet for other fish.  Never tried cherry on bacon, might be worth a try though.

Hey guys,

Dredging this old thread up....

Where are you guys buying your bacteria cultures for doing this? In the Charcuterie book they specify Bactoferm F-RM-52, but I'm not sure where you'd buy such a thing in NZ... Or are you guys importing it?

Any tips?

Dunninghams in Penrose have cultures, not that specific one but other suitable substitutes.

Cheers Hamish, I'll hit them up!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service