Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Are there any BJCP certified judges in the Wellington area?  I've begun studying for my exam but it's a lot easier to find people certified in the states it seems like.  If anyone knows of any judges to study under (or if the test would even be available in NZ) please let me know!

Views: 724

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looking at the BJCP website and list of tasting exams there are a few exams over in Oz this year and next, and the earliest date for new tasting exam registrations is Feb 2016! It would be good to get something organised for BJCP judging within NZ and also a list of certified Judges (and also ones that can protor an exam).

When are you thinking about going for the exam?

As for Judges in NZ, I found these reports on the website showing there are only 2 in Auckland and no real activity in NZ (I'm guessing the NHC isn't a BJCP sanctioned compitition - probly because there are only 2 judges in NZ!)

http://www.bjcp.org/apps/reports/judges_by_state.php

http://www.bjcp.org/apps/reports/countries.php

Looks like I get lots of time to practice before 2016 then!  It would definitely be nice to get something organized. What program do you guys usually use for judging over there?

As far as when I'm going for the exam, it would hopefully be within the next year or so.

Try Graham Eyres in the Otago food science dept, hopefully he doesnt mind me posting this (sorry Graham!)...hes a bjcp judge

Would you have a good contact for him?  You can send it to my inbox if you don't want to put it on the thread.  I found him through the uni's website but I doubt he'll want me sending him BJCP email on that ha ha.  Thanks!

Hey Saw this post a while ago, but I just heard about this website that might help your preparation

http://www.betterbeerscores.com/

The problem with BJCP certification is that you need to judge in X number of BJCP sanctioned competitions annually in order to maintain the certification. I think it's well worth people studying and learning to judge using the programme though.

Is the SOBA NHC BJCP sanctioned - from the wording (from memory) on the website I would have guess it was using the guidelines as they are a good set of defined styles, but the competition itself isn't BJCP.

It seems to me that most judging/judges in NZ come up through the World Beer Cup (or similar) route which is more applicable to commercial breweries / beers. As you say getting the training / judging experience through the BJCP resources is a good idea, but actually getting certified is going to be hard... unless someone makes a big push to get more competitions run (and sanctioned by BJCP) in NZ

Cheers!

Yep, I think you're both spot on. Back when Stu M. had the time (before he became a world famous yeastie boy) he and some of the early SOBA crew ran some BJCP courses. I'm not sure what ever happened with that in terms of ongoing certification/outcome but you could always email Stu and ask.

With the NHC, we have used the BJCP styles but won't be this year. They are just too out of date, and restrictive. The 2014 guidelines won't be ready in time, but next year's competition may use them. This year, we'll be using the Brewers Association guidelines - you heard it here first! ;) These are available here: http://www.brewersassociation.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/2014_B...

We also put emphasis on our trainee judging programme. Each table has two experienced judges. Lots of types of experience are recognised, but we opt for industry recognised world class competition experience such as the WBC, AIBA, or other international standard competitions. This gives entrants in the NHC confidence that judging is at the highest level, and while it is by nature a subjective endeavour, all efforts are made to be as fair, professional, and just downright skilled as possible in judging NHC beers. Those experienced judges are joined by a trainee - these can come from anywhere, but are often commercial brewers looking to get more into judging, or people well known to other judges who have been recommended as having excellent palates. Generally we have someone for at least a year (usually two) before promoting them to the full judging pool. Finally, we have a "table steward". This is a member of the stewarding team who wants to broaden their palate and perhaps get on the road to judging. They are encouraged to taste along with the judges, though don't get to comment unless asked. Despite this, most ARE asked, after initial evaluation has occurred.

If anyone is interested in stewarding this year, feel free to email me. greig at soba dot org dot nz. Trainee judges and stewards pay their own travel and accommodation costs, but it is a great learning experience, and there's also the always fun "wind down shout" after judging completes. ;) I'll warn you now though, you'll be under the whip of Alex, my wife! She likes to beat up stewards! :)

are you still going to have the NZ styles ie    0D NZ styled Pilsner ?

No need under BA. Their styles allow for them.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service