Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi All
(Hopefully I didn't miss a thread here, I searched first!)
Just wanted to see if anyone has rhizomes available this year? I hear there is a shortage, however if there are any suppliers anyone knows of I would be keen to given them a go!

Maybe we can get a list of suppliers going? I see in the old forum that Stephen @ Hallertau may have been one of them, any ideas?

Cheers

Views: 17322

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Only one variety now, green bullet has sold out.  Looks like I'll have to give smooth cone a crack.

Well hopefully mine will go well enough to share.

can send some when i get a chance.

email me dan.elanor@kinect.co.nz

That would be awesome Dan. Cheers.
Recived my rhizomes today was just woundering what you guys thoughts were on whether I should plant them now or keep them in the fridge until it's a little cooler just incase they come out of dormancy to early.

What did you decide to do in the end Ryan? Mine arrived the other day and are already showing signs of life, might be too late to put them in the fridge now.  Might have to grow them inside until warms up a bit, I'm sure the wife wont mind...

After talking to country trading they suggested that I throw them in the ground so decided to give it a crack.

Guess that's worth a try then although I'm not sure they would survive a frost.

Of course they will, thats why they go dormant in the winter and are grown throughout europe!

I meant the new growth. Putting them in the ground now while it is still reasonably warm might encourage growth only for a frost to come along and kill them.  Would a single rhizome cutting survive this and start up again in spring?

Make sure you have plenty of space if you are growing in the ground as they spread like Billy-o! I ended up taking mine out and then replanting in half a rain barrel sunk into the ground

Wait until spring and ask around then. Hops are easily grown from small cutting of the roots. I got one that was 5cm long and it grew all over my house in the first year. once they get going they don't stop! If you are going to plant it in the ground you can start preparing the ground now though

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service