Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Are there any builders/handymen able to give advise on making a funky kegerator. I have a tall 1400 high fridge, and plan to cover it in wood to make it look more like a cupboard. Whats the best way to go about this?

Views: 1034

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

wood is the best... and you can google the design.... for funky ideas... :)

Hehwe, thanks, i've done some googling, and a  TARDIS is the one for me...

That would be awesome!!
A lot of newer fridges also need airflow around the sides too as the radiator isn't on the back.

yep there'll be plenty of venting for the back.

I have an old Kelvinator fridge from about 1960/70 that fits 2 corny kegs well, its super cold.   My plan is to use the same stuff they use for advertising on vehicles and wrap the fridge.  I am thinking a pinup poster from the 60's with a beer theme on it, thinking this and milk stout....

Attachments:

Just be careful with the upright Kelvinator fridges or freezers they all have coils for refrigerant in the side panels which are not always mentioned in the plans. So don't do what I did and drill the side for an external CO2 tank :P  

thanks for that,  this is a really old unit,  I think it only has the ice box connected however  I am going to undo screws in the back where the icebox gas lines go into the fridge (via a service panel ) and put grommets in for the incoming gas lines to ensure I don't cut through anything.   

So in the case of coils in the side the rear (hehe) is safe to drill?

Yeah after I ruined my first keezer, I decided that I would bite the bullet and build a chest keezer. you can pick up a brand new 600L chest freezer (this will hold 5 19L corny kegs and a CO2 bottle with room for bottles on the shelf)  from the warehouse for between $400-500. I went brand new just because it has a bit more peace of mind than one off trademe where you cannot be sure of the history of the freezer. I based my keezer on the following links. total cost was about $800 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAaqbUXcs-o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiDGrBppI0M

G'day, I've had a bit of recent (stressful) experience in the design of a 'keezer' and I definitely would recommend building a frame around your freezer as oppose to cladding/wrapping it with anything (if that's the look your after)
The majority of 'good ol 'chest freezers' use the outside walls to dissipate the heat generated from the energy needed to freeze the inside, put simply, if you insulate the outside (by means of cladding etc) your essentially going to suffocate your freezer and kill the bloody thing you've just spent a week of nights making....ahem, will post pics of my first build then second when I can. Just choose your design carefully, IMO. Don't post much here but I like stalking, from my couch, with a cracking hoppy ale and swmbo sitting next to me ;)
Oops just noticed you said 'fridge' d'oh! Sorry. Was good to let it out though............keezers, wtf. Lol

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service