Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

We spoke about creating a discussion so people who have or people who are thinking about and/or building can share pic's info and pitfalls to avoid.

Just about finished building my bench and hopefully will have a chance to start wiring it up this weekend. Pics to follow shortly.

Views: 19887

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cable, I'm using some 2.5 stranded flex at this stage, 4500W will draw around 18.75A so that should be OK. Checking with a sparky first though. If I need to up it to 4mm I will.
4.5kw @ 230v is 19.5a. 2.5 is ok till 20a. I've used 4mm cause the 5.5kws draw almost 24a.
I am a sparky btw.
Hey Scott, I'm aware it's close running 2.5 for 4500W
What do you think regarding headspace, better to just size up to 4mm?
It's a toughy Barry. If it's a short run you could squeeze a little more out of the 2.5 but may as well upgrade that way if you resize your elements you'd be covered. I would defo supply your control panel via a 4mm.
Thanks mate, good to know. I won't but upgrading elements but I hear you on panel supply. Thanks!
I wouldnt worry about upgrading to 4mm the hassle of trying to squeeze into plugs etc isn't worth it you can run more than 20a thru 2.5 at that short of distance also the cable price of 4 mm flex is ridiculous
also have you guys thought about using dual 2500 elements we use them all the time in dairy sheds you can run them as a 5kw or a 2.5kw and I can get them for about 70+gst
Hey dean.
The elements need to be low watt density to prevent scorching the wort in the boil. Also the 5.5kw are less that that price delivered from Amazon. As for the flex price I've just used 32a single phase range sockets and flex(HPM ones) that I've scavenged from kitchen alterations but I get what you mean if you had to buy the flex in its own.
the dual elements from smiths are pretty long so I'd say they would have a fairly low watt density, are the elements you use incaloy or what?
These ones.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BPG4LI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1397811...

Camco's 5500W 240V screw-in ripple type ultra low watt density water heater elements are better suited for areas with problem water (hard water, lime, etc.) Premium Ultra LWD Lime Life elements carry a limited 5 year warranty. Ultra LWD and special metal surface (high performance nickel-chromium stainless steel alloy) reduce chances of lime build-up. They resist dry firing and are ideal for problem water areas and locations with intermittent water supply.
that's not badly priced I'm looking at converting to electric as it makes sense for a sparky to be using elements not gas
Yeah they are a sweet deal ATM 46nzd delivered. If you haven't already I'd highly recommend checking out www.theelectricbrewery.com

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service