Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70871

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry.. been damn busy with work.

Both will help add thickness to the beer, the oats will offer an extra smoothness to it and creaminess to the head.

2:1 good place to start... recipes always take a few versions till you are happy with them.

I'm wanting to make a sweet oatmeal stout. I really want some good body with it too. Any advice would be appreciated

Here's what I have so far:

5kg Maris Otter

500g Flaked Barley 

400g Oats

340g Chocolate Malt

200g Pale Chocolate Malt

230g Dark Crystal

170g Medium Crystal

300g Lactose

Hops: 50g Fuggles(6% Alpha) at 60 minutes

That looks a damn nice start.  I would drop the lactose... just because I don't like it in beer. 

Do you wish to get more fruit flavours coming through.. if so then look at some late additions hops like Pacific Jade, Motueka,.. well the list is quite long.

About the only thing missing there is the Roast Barley ...  and what yeast do you plan to use..?

I'm looking for more of the malt flavour with enough bitterness to not make it too sweet. I can always use some different hops though. 

I'm glad you picked up the missing roast barley lol. I think a few hundred grams would be enough? I'm not totally sure on the yeast yet but was thinking of maybe trying the mangrove jacks M03 new castle dark ale yeast.

Thanks

100-200g is a good start. Let us know how M03 works out.. I haven't used it yet.

Nothing wrong with Fuggles... good english hop for many beers.

Andrew Childs uses M03 for his porter recipe and it looks delicious!

Scarrfie posted this recipe a while back,  I added 400g Lactose and used 50g southern cross, If I rebrew I would drop to 25g SC and maybe 200g lactose....  i used wyeast 1084   I also added oats as had them....  the high %flaked barley really helps add body.   I am probably going to rebrew without the lactose first.   I think more choc and even coffee grounds would go really well with this

Two Black Sheep

66% Malteurope Pale Malt

21% Flaked Barley

6% Roast Barley

4% Black Malt

3% Pale Chocolate

Sounds good... shit load of flaked barley.

Lactose come across as powdery or a condense milk sweetness..??

It seems like a lot of flaked barley, but my guinness clone was 65% Pale Base malt, 25% Flaked Barley and 10% Roast Barley.  Bottling tomorrow and so far samples have been really dry, roasty and damn tasty.  Finished at 1.009 but not sure how the head retention is going to hold up for a few weeks.

The beer turned out really nice. Good roasty flavour and full bodied. I ended up using 200g of lactose but it is sweet but not too sweet. Probably one of the better stouts I have made. It did lack head retention though

Can anyone tell me what type of beer 'Black Mac ' is and does anyone have a decent recipe?

Basically it's a black lager.

There's a few on the beersmith site,

http://beersmithrecipes.com/searchrecipe?term=Schwarzbier+Black+Beer

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service