Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Evening lads,

A quick question to see if anyone has a line in to someone selling a wider range of hop rhizomes than the smoothcone and green bullet you tend to see on Trade Me. 

I'm really keen to get my hands on either a citrus or noble hop if I can. Aware this is going to be a tough ask, but thought I'd check just in case.

Thanks heaps,

Andrew

Views: 294

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

www.hopscotch.co.nz at 2-2 Shaddock St, sell a few things incl. Pacific Jade, Motueka, Riwaka, priced by the gram. May be some American stuff in the freezer too. I'mm be working there Mon and Tue this week, giz a ring.....

Also what you are looking for is a hop variety

varietal is a term that refers to the characteristics of a variety- this seems to have sprung out of the wine writing world, where people talk about 'varietal' bottlings (as one variety is in the wine, it is a 'varietal' wine, correct usage) and varietal flavours. then. people decided it sounded cool/like you knew more if you used that term, and it is not uncommon for people (esp marketing people) to talk about their vineyards being planted in XYZ 'varietals'. It's a feckin VARIETY, unless you've got a field full of 'characteristics'.

Thanks for the lesson.

Oh. Looking at your other posts, I realise you are actually after the plants. Hop vines.

MORE'S the need for terminalogical disambiguation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hop varieties other than the ones you see on trademe are harder to get due to NZ hops being very protective of them and not selling them. 

You pretty much get them by learning secret handshakes, call signs and knowing someone! 

Not sure if NZ hops would crack down on anyone trying to sell one of the other rhizomes than the ones you mention. 

Does anyone else know of any instances of NZ hops contacting people trying to sell some on trademe? 

I'm thinking it's going to come down to getting Danscade - by the sounds of it this is going to be the closest to what I'm looking for. I see a few others have answered on another thread saying they've shared cuttings of their plants in the past, though seems like it might be difficult to get right now.

Would love to get some Danscade in next to my smoothcone too, no rhizomes going?... i imagine cuttings might be a bit tough too now, going into winter and all.

wait until spring and take a cutting from one of the laterals that spread below the ground. Just as long as you have a sprout on it it should be fine. I started a smoothcone from a piece about 5cm long and it went beserk and i could have easily got over 1kg of it first year. I would recommend putting them into something if you can as they will spread really easily. Mine is in a half rain barrel sunk into the ground with a rope going up to the eaves

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service