Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi guys.

Looking to get into allgrain brewing because I've come to the conclusion that the extract brews all taste the same. I've got a 40L chilly bin that I'm going to make a manifold for today. However, I only have a 20L aluminum pot which i think may be a little small to boil 19L in. Is there any way i can get away with it?

Any hints or suggestions appreciated. 

Views: 1014

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I got a 60l pot! It came today but I'm a bit concerned that my gas hob will burn right through it. It's fairly thin. Thoughts?
Can't say I've had any issues with the 50L versions on a 3 ring burner.

OK that's good to hear. Do you know what I mean about it being as thin as sin though?

As in only 4-6mm yes.
Id say mine is about 2mm
Should be ok. Only one way to find out right?
Think the pot will be fine - can't be worse off than a paper cup!

http://youtu.be/xGseQk_r9EI

Some people have reported a slight sagging in the bottom over time in the cheap pots but it's fairly minimal.

Hi Paul, dont let these guys scare you off with the tech talk. I was a complete dummy and still am pretty much. Thanks to the people here I am brewing all grain and getting a really good beer out of it. I use a 30 ltr pot and a boil in a bag bag. I dont have a wort chiller so I dont chill ( Aussies do it all the time ) and I dont have temp control for the fermenter. I made some cheese cloth bag things to boil the hops with and also for dry hopping. Just tied them together with cotton string. Peter Smith gave me a fantastic recipe based on the grains in his reply, Kiwi pale ale. It is just the best. When I have finished boiling and hopping I cover the top of the pot with plastic wrap, put the lid on and some weight and leave it over night to cool. I guess that temp control and wort chiller would make it even better but its pretty damn good as it is. You just take a list of the grain to the brew shop and they measure and mill it for you.

Hope it helps.

What's this kiwi pale ale recipe Peter? I'm looking for a good first biab recipe.

I think he means this one.... its not my recipe its Richard Deeble's

IMHO its hard to screw up.... great for a first BIAB

http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/profiles/blogs/brewing-a-good-nz-pa...

But if I was doing first time biab I would increase all grains buy about 10-15% if you using  a shop mill as I find the shop milled grains are not as fine as I personally grind them and you don't want a too low OG ....

Yep Deebles Kiwi pale ale. I take it up to around 25 litres and use grain milled at Brewers Coop in Penrose and get about 4% abv. Beautiful clean taste and not to strong.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service