Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

How much heavily peated malt would be suitable for a robust porter?
I've been loking at the Stone Smoked Porter, and it asks for 4 oz of Lightly peated malt which is about 110g-ish if using heavily peated, which seems to be all I can find, how much should I reduce the amount by?

Further-more I toyed with adding oak to the ber as well for maybe 7-10 days, how well would this work? Or would it be too much?

Views: 586

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The answer is very very little. I made a pale with 5% peated malt (200g in a 15L batch), and it tasted overwhelmingly peaty. 

Yeasty Boys uses 100% peated malt in their Rex Attitude....a truely great beer. Weyermann state on their website that up to100% can be used. It MIGHT be a case of more being better? Some hops are a little like that in my experience eg Rakau is awesome when heavily used but completely different in smaller additions.

Correct me if I'm wrong the but the Weyermann smoked malt isn't the same thing as the peated whiskey malt Yeasties use 100% of in Rex? Pretty sure Weyermanns is beech smoked.

Weyermann and peated are very very different.

Yes weyermanns is beech malted, unlike Rex Attitude which uses 100% heavily peated malt. Hard to believe it could taste so sensational but there you have it. I seem to remember reading a comment by Stu McKinlay that he almost threw up when he mashed his first brew of the stuff...
While I agree that Rex attitude is a good beer, it's not something you can have more than one bottle of. If you're going for a peaty note, I'd say 2-3% if you're after the bottom of the ashtray taste go big.

THE PLAN WAS A SMALL AMOUNT IN A PORTER. THE STONE RECIPE SUGGESTS 110G OF LIGHTLY PEATED, BUT I CAN ONLY FIND HEAVILY PEATED.

I wouldn't halve it, I'd maybe go with 80gm. See how that goes and tweak for the next batch maybe?

Though 110gm you might struggle to taste it I reckon, what's that as a percentage of total grist?

I would think you could go fairly safely to 8-10 percent before it got too ashtray. It'll fade over time too, how long are you planning to age it for?

Absolutely agree! It's really an all or nothing beer with the smokey aroma and smooth taste of a good single malt Islay whiskey and certainly not to everyone's taste. I got a bit off topic but for a Porter, a small addition will still come though with smokey overtones.

Hmmm... I don't know about 80g. seems a bit much, everyone seems to suggest a little goes a long way.

I was thinking I'd halve to start and adjust from there. I'd rather start with too little and adjust on subsequent batches.

Yeah I don't have any experience with peated, but the Weyermann I stuck about 80gm in a beer (years ago) and didn't taste it. I vowed to stick at least 20% in the next attempt. Still yet to happen but I'd be far less timid, especially in a porter.

Rob I used 100g in 20L of Bock and it was nice, but pretty dominant in that one bottle was enough. Then I tried a smaller amount, I think around 30g, and could hardly notice it. Interestingly the smoked flavour in the Bock faded with time. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service