Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I'm after something that will be a bit like the Emersons Pilsner.

I pinched the following recipe off another forum and changed it a little.  What do you think? Will it get me close?

Also would I need more than 1 packet of US-05 if I'm fermenting at 15degrees or would I be right with one?

22Litres

Ingredients:
4.0 kg Pilsner Malt
0.26 kg Cara-Pils Malt
0.08 kg Caramalt 15
0.13 kg Acidulated Malt
40 g Riwaka (5.1%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
20 g Riwaka (5.1%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
30 g Rakau (10.4%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
3 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15 min
15 g Rakau (10.4%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
20 g Riwaka (5.1%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min

90 min boil

1 packet US-05 fermented at 15 degrees

Views: 5271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

JamesP is the man you want to talk to IMO, his NZ pilsner in CS4 was awesome, a bit different to Emersons Pilsner, but, dare I say, I actually liked his better ;o)

Oh, and youll be fine with one pack of US-05
Was going to have a crack at jamesP recipe after Christmas. Just got the grain from bc, for recipe as below. For a 5kg grain bill the 4% acidulated malt works out to be 200g. The guy at BC said beware using anymore than about 50g of this, I had a taste and can see why, although I've not used it before, and no idea if there varying "strengths", but it seems pretty strongly flavoured. Do I crack on using the 200g, or dial it down? They gave me the acidulated in a separate bag so can still adjust. Will use us05 at 15-16C, not the patience, or enough stocks, to wait for a lagering. Also using waititi sp? Instead of cascade, no cascade left :(

80% Pale Malt
10% Munich I (Weyermann)
6% kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
4% Acidulated (Weyermann)
15.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] (60 min) Hops 21.4 IBU
10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] (15 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
15.00 gm NZ Cascade [7.00 %] (15 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
15.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
15.00 gm NZ Cascade [7.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.22 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs WeihenStephen (DCL #W34/70) Yeast-Lager

In the ideal scenario you would have a ph metter or paper strips to get mash to the correct PH if needed, its going to be a new years pressie for me one of those cheap pen type ph meters....   when doing gladfierlds ale based brews I am adding 150-200g if no dark malts.   mostly based on more experienced brewers posts and opinions,  I need to verify with an actual meter.   I am currently sipping a "maximus" clone 

89.2    4.59 kg. Gladfields Ale Malt NZ, Canterbury 8
9.3     0.48 kg. Bairds Caramalt 30 
1.5      0.08 kg. Weyermann Acidulated Germany 

thats a lot less then 4%  I think I put in 100g for good measure need to check BS, I also mill the acid last so it goes in first to change ph before the rest of the grain goes in...  my 6 year old like chewing on grains but not acid malt  8)

I have wyeast munich yeast and also the 2124 bohimian , I was hoping that I could get these beers brewed before going on holiday but life too busy...   I am very blind when it comes to how much hops to add for flovour/aroma,   there is so much more IPA recipies out there then larger ones...  just because so many commercial breweries make crap larger seems to scare so many homebrewers towards ale's?

I find it a real challange to brew something the neighbours WANT to drink but is home brewed.   Most dont like hoppy craft or home brew  8(

I m a massive fan of tuatara pilsner and emersons

http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/group/therecipeexchange/forum/topic...

Recipe: Munich Helles
Brewer: Glen Simpson
Style: Munich Helles

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 32.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 4.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 18.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.95 kg .Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 90.91 %
0.30 kg .Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 6.83 %
0.10 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (30.0 SRM) Grain 2.27 %
27.00 gm .Tettnanger [5.20 %] (60 min) Hops 18.8 IBU
0.20 tsp .Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.30 gm .WYeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Bohemian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2124) Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 4.35 kg
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Saccharification Add 11.00 L of water at 72.6 C 66.0 C
10 min Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 10 min 75.6 C

Notes:
------
Recipe from BCS
Cooled to 7C, pitch yeast, let rise to 10C, when airlock bubbling slows raised to 15C
4000mL starter.
Lagered at 5C for approx 4 weeks.

tuatara

BOHEMIAN PILSNER

Everyone loves a good Pilsner. It reminds them of all those green bottle lagers they used to drink after they graduated from law school and got a job in media. Only there’s something more. The authentic Czech yeast, selected for its ability to reduce esters by fermenting at low temperatures, has thrown the bitterness forward and enhanced the malt.

5%
Available in 330ml & 500ml bottles, and from the tap

Hopped With
Pacific Jade to bitter. Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, and Riwaka for flavour. 

Hey, wow been a while since I was on here, but saw pilsner! Like Peter S says you would be best to have a pH meter, or use something like BeerSmith to give you your starting numbers. 

Your water and malt combination will have a lot to do with the need to add AM, as you are primarily trying to get the right pH for your mash.

Also from memory I used more acidulated malt as I was using Gladfield's malt as a base which, at that time, needed a little extra help.

Edit: I knew i would find the reference....

1% of Acidulated malt to reduce the pH by 0.1. (Example: 3% Acidulated malt reduce the pH in mash by 0.3).

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Acidulated_malt

I have malteurope pale malt, and am using north shore water, if anyone with beer smith is able to give me a first estimate would be much appreciated

Do pH strips give enough accuracy for the mash ? Wonder if I can get some on Christmas Eve....?...
Doesn't Emerson Pils have a decent chunk of NZ Cascade in it as well IIRC?

I always get massive sulphur from that beer too if you wanna be that nit-picky about the real fine points.
Actually I just looked at the Dunedin malthouse website and they are out of Riwaka. I want to do this on Saturday so no time to get it from anywhere else.
How would it go if I substituted all the Riwaka for Cascade?
Liberty have Riwaka flowers
Might be a challenge to get them here by saturday - good to know for next time though
Put an order in mate... Saturday delivery is just an extra few bucks with the couriers.
Mate you can't argue with that. Jo man you are doing an awesome job!!!
Well... you know... we try!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service