Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

The next WBC competition will be on Saturday, 9th November 3PM. Steve, at Hallertau has again offered the use of the Brewery for our event. He knows how much we all like the shiny.

Before I get into the style you will note we are doing this in NOVEMBER. Get your brew in quick!

We have decided to do these events 2-monthly instead of 3 monthly but because the event after would be at Christmas, I have adjusted a bit. If you have issues let me know.

Every other style will be a CLONE - just to make it fun. Our clone competition will be 25th January - clone is Macs Sassy Red (see next discussion)

Thanks to Anatole for choosing an excellent style for our next comp: the Dark Mild

According to BJCP (style 11A)

11A. Mild

Aroma: Low to moderate malt aroma, and may have some fruitiness. The malt expression can take on a wide range of character, which can include caramelly, grainy, toasted, nutty, chocolate, or lightly roasted. Little to no hop aroma. Very low to no diacetyl.

Appearance: Copper to dark brown or mahogany color. A few paler examples (medium amber to light brown) exist. Generally clear, although is traditionally unfiltered. Low to moderate off-white to tan head. Retention may be poor due to low carbonation, adjunct use and low gravity.

Flavor: Generally a malty beer, although may have a very wide range of malt- and yeast-based flavors (e.g., malty, sweet, caramel, toffee, toast, nutty, chocolate, coffee, roast, vinous, fruit, licorice, molasses, plum, raisin). Can finish sweet or dry. Versions with darker malts may have a dry, roasted finish. Low to moderate bitterness, enough to provide some balance but not enough to overpower the malt. Fruity esters moderate to none. Diacetyl and hop flavor low to none.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body. Generally low to medium-low carbonation. Roast-based versions may have a light astringency. Sweeter versions may seem to have a rather full mouthfeel for the gravity.

Overall Impression: A light-flavored, malt-accented beer that is readily suited to drinking in quantity. Refreshing, yet flavorful. Some versions may seem like lower gravity brown porters.

Comments: Most are low-gravity session beers in the range 3.1-3.8%, although some versions may be made in the stronger (4%+) range for export, festivals, seasonal and/or special occasions. Generally served on cask; session-strength bottled versions don’t often travel well. A wide range of interpretations are possible.

History: May have evolved as one of the elements of early porters. In modern terms, the name “mild” refers to the relative lack of hop bitterness (i.e., less hoppy than a pale ale, and not so strong). Originally, the “mildness” may have referred to the fact that this beer was young and did not yet have the moderate sourness that aged batches had. Somewhat rare in England, good versions may still be found in the Midlands around Birmingham.

Ingredients: Pale English base malts (often fairly dextrinous), crystal and darker malts should comprise the grist. May use sugar adjuncts. English hop varieties would be most suitable, though their character is muted. Characterful English ale yeast.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.030 – 1.038
IBUs: 10 – 25 FG: 1.008 – 1.013
SRM: 12 – 25 ABV: 2.8 – 4.5%

Commercial Examples: Moorhouse Black Cat, Gale’s Festival Mild, Theakston Traditional Mild, Highgate Mild, Sainsbury Mild, Brain’s Dark, Banks's Mild, Coach House Gunpowder Strong Mild, Woodforde’s Mardler’s Mild, Greene King XX Mild, Motor City Brewing Ghettoblaster       

Views: 1358

Replies to This Discussion

Heh, I thought you had to be there if you wanted your winnings or it went on the bar! ;)

I learnt that one in the last round- i think everyone there enjoyed my winnings!- and i got my $10 entry back along with feedback

Hi, I am planning to come along for the first time to see what goes on but I don't have a mild. Are spectators allowed and is it all good to bring other brews to share?
Cheers, Gareth

Yes, absolutely. I usually bring whatever home brew I have to get comments from the rest of the group. There is a lot of knowledge in the WBC and even if you don't enter the specific competition, you can still get great feedback from everyone.

See you there. Judging starts at 3. If all is to plan, we will be set up in the brewery.

Excellent, thank you. See you there

What a great turn out!

Thanks to everyone who showed up. And as usual, a huge thanks to Hallertau for hosting us even when they were flat out.

Congratulations to Mike with an astounding 37 out of 40 points for his Dark Mild entry. 2nd place was Bruce with 34 points and the coveted 3rd place went to Tom, with 29 points. Tom has chosen the next style: a Dry Stout. Next competition will be end of March. 

Don't forget the next competition is 25th January for the Sassy Red Clone.

Results distribution here: (rank vs score)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service