Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hey ya'll,

I recall there being another thread similar to this for last year's recipes, figured I'd get a 2013 version started! (hint hint Barb, give us some Joppa Stout love!)

Martin asked if I could share my "Smell the Roses" recipe :) Happy to! 

This is a rad summer beer. Sorry to say, but it uses pretty tough-to-get hops. This doesn't use any random ingredients as the name may suggest, just a name with a bit of a back story. I'm providing the ingredients in % (grains) and grams per litre + AA% + IBU's (hops) - I do double size batches so you can work it out for your system from there.

Session IPA - "Smell the Roses"

ABV: 5.2%

IBU: ~60 (Using Rager)

OG: 1.055

FG: 1.013 - 1.015

Water adjustment

My water is pretty soft, adjust this to your system. I've added gypsum and Acid Malt to achieve the appropriate mash PH.

0.3g/L Gypsum in mash water (aiming for about 250 ppm if I recall)

Fermentables

91% Golden Promise @ 6.3 EBC (I used Thomas Fawcett, but am also a big fan of Bairds)

5% Medium Crystal @ 153 EBC (Bairds)

3% Munich Malt @ 16 EBC (Weyermann)

1% Acid Malt (Weyermann)

Hops (kettle)
I'm using Simcoe to bitter as it gives a lovely smooth bittering. The Cascade is intended to be a "layering hop", with two rockstar hops like Simcoe and Amarillo, I needed something to sit quietly in the background and tie the hop profile together. 

1g/L Simcoe @ 12% @ 85mins (36.7 IBU)

1.25g/L Simcoe @ 12% @ 20mins (15.4 IBU)

2.5g/L US Cascade @ 6.2% @ 10mins (9.5 IBU)

1.25g/L Amarillo @ 8.5% 0 mins (probably a few extra IBU's from this addition)

Other additions

0.1g/L White Labs Yeast Nutrient @ 10mins

1x White Labs Servomyces Capsule per 20L @ 10mins (Make that yeast happy for gods sake!)

~1g/L Koppafloc @ 10mins

Hops (dry)

From what I've learned over time, dry hopping is all about surface contact with the beer (duh..). I don't have a conical fermenter so can't rouse my dry hops using CO2. Instead, I split the dry hopping out like this to get multiple instances of the hops "falling through" the beer before settling on the bottom. I also do it across a temperature range to try get different characters out of each dry hop. This could all be hearsay, so by all means do what you think works best for your system. The "days" refers to how many days before kegging or racking the beer. You can see I have it at crashing temp for that last addition.

0.65g/L Simcoe & 0.65g/L Amarillo @ 7 days @ ~20c

0.65g/L Simcoe & 0.65g/L Amarillo @ 5 days @ ~10-17c

0.65g/L Simcoe & 0.65g/L Amarillo @ 3 days @ ~1-5c

Yeast

White Labs WLP007 - This strain has been a favourite of mine for some time.. It has great attenuative properties (70-80%), and ferments very clean like an American Strain, but just seems to give the beer something a little bit special.. 

I grew up this vial over the course of a week, stepping a starter up to about 450b cells for ~40L. This is a bit of an overpitch. It was a very happy chappy when it went into the beer!

Process

Mash at 67-68c for 60mins

Boil for 90mins

Chill wort to 17C & oxygenate well before pitching yeast

Raise temperature to 19c over first 36-48 hours

Raise temperature to 21c over next 5 days

Fermenation will finish quickly with WLP007 (she's a beast), allow the yeast to clean up for at least a week before crashing and transferring.

Start your dry hopping after 1 week of fermentation. 

WLP007 Drops clear well, so you probably don't need to Gelatin this. Feel free to if you want it super clear, but that hop haze will prevent you from getting it brilliant. 

Carbonate to 2.3 - 2.6 volumes depending on your preference

Drink in volume in the sun, with a BBQ burning, music cranking and laughter abounding.

OK, I think that's pretty much it! feel free to ask any questions you may have. 

CHEERS!

K

Views: 5363

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow Kelly! Impressive and technical all at the same time.
Shame I've run out of Amarillo too!

Heh thanks man,

I have only managed to brew bi-monthly this past year unfortunately, so I definitely go whole-hog for each batch.

A shame indeed! There's a reason this hop is so hard to get! :(

K

yeah, your judging notes would be awesome.

Nice thread Kelly. Any chance of people posting their judging notes from NHC at the same time? It would be interesting to see the judges comments.

Sure thing :) 

Here you go: http://nhc.soba.org.nz/brewer/entries/928/score/share?k=3c8372

Funny thing is, that 'Slight rosewater note' aroma comment is pure coincidence. The judges don't know the beer's name when they judge it. I believe it's mainly from the US Cascade, which often has that delicious Turkish Delight aroma to it. 

Cheers!

Hi, here is the recipe for my Imperial IPA which won a gold medal. I've attached the judging notes as well.

ABV: 9.5%
OG: 1083
FG: 1012
IBU: 172.3 (Using Rager)

3.5 kg Gladfield Pale ale malt
3.5 kg Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise
0.5 kg Dextrose

65c mash temp. Added 6 grams gypsum and 3 grams epsom salts to mash. 60 grams Nelson Sauvin mash hop.

90min boil

30 grams Columbus 60min

30 grams Amarillo 15min
30 grams Pacific Jade 15 min
30 grams Riwaka 15min
30 grams Simcoe 15 min
1 gram Koppafloc, 2.2 gram Wyeast yeast nutrient

40 grams Citra 0 min
40 grams Mosaic 0 min
40 grams Motueka 0 min

Pitched Mangroves Jacks M44 at 16c rose to 18c after 24 hours.

Double dry hop. 50 grams Citra, 50 grams Nelson Sauvin in primary for 5 days. 50 grams Citra, 50 grams Nelson Sauvin in secondary. 30 grams Nelson Sauvin, 30 grams citra keg hop.

Attachments:

Wow. That is a pretty unique hopping schedule! Congrats on the gold!

Yeah, it was a bit of an experiment in blending together a bunch of different varieties but I guess it worked!

wow thats enough evidence for me that MORE HOPS is a requirement

9 DIFFERENT VARIETIES......

The Citra and Sauvin really dominate from the huge dry hop but I think the other hops added a lot of complexity. 

Congrats Alex - two Golds, you must be chuffed. 

Any chance you're willing to share your NZ IPA recipe?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service