Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Our Fijoa trees are covered in wee fruit.  We will be inundated when they start dropping.

Has anyone here used them in a brew with success?  Thinking of doing a Saison with em, or perhaps a wheat beer.  Also toying with the idea of doing a wheat heavy Belgian Blond with perhaps a smaller amount of fijoa?

Obviously I have some time left to plan.

Thoughts?  

Views: 1919

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A simple wheat beer is the safe option.

Belgian could work but I'd be a bit suss about the yeast character not playing well with feijoa.

Some brewpub/micro did a feijoa lambic-esque beer I think?

Heaps of people make feijoa wine so I reckon it would work well in a beer.

I made a feijoa witbier last year, and it was pretty tasty.

For spices I used lime peel and ginger root.  The yeast character and feijoa went together just fine.

Mussel in do make a feijoa geuze (which, sadly, I've never had the pleasure of tasting), Mata make a feijoa beer which is something along the lines of a simple blonde ale with feijoa.

I reckon any of your ideas would work great.  I vote for the saison myself :)

Yeah leaning towards the saison too. Havent had a go at brewing a saison yet actually. Will probabaly base something on a Saison Dupont clone i have lying around.  Love saison dupont! Will have to get some saison yeast on the next order.

I didn't realise how old this thread is. lol.

Mussel Inn was what I was thinking of.

I forgot about the Mata beer.  Last time I had that it wasn't pleasant at all actually (sorry Mata guys!) smelt like feijoas that sit under the tree for a couple weeks.

I went through a feijoa distillation stage a few yeas ago and still getting back into the taste.This year i want to try a clean yeast with hops and feijoies. You may be able to slide hop madness under the fruit. Lots of fructose rotting on kiwi lawns.
Feijoa cider seems to be a common product too. Got some free apples laying around as well?? There always seem to be old apple trees around that never get picked and would be perfect for free cider.
im keen to try a light ale and infuse it with feijoa - thinking 4kg any ideas?

Do it.

I'd up the mash temp and maybe add a little crystal to what would be a standard fruitless recipe.  The simple sugars tend to dry and thin out the beer. 

sweet,just need to wait for free feijoa

If I'm remembering right, I added 2kg of feijoa to ~17L of my witbier and it was very heavy on the feijoa flavour.

Feijoa's a powerfully flavoured fruit, so a little goes a long way.

Did you break up fruit, how ripe, when did you add to wort?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service