Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94569

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I tried this Bell's Two Hearted IPA recipe off the beersmith site. It was mostly centennial hops but I used mosaic instead.

5.44kg Marris Otter

910g Vienna 

230g Cara pils

230g Crystal

22g Mosaic 60min

15g Mosaic 45min

15g Mosaic 30min

22g Mosaic 15min

22g Mosaic 0min

I just used US-05 due to not being able to get the specific wyeast

70 minute mash and 60 minute boil

Dry hopped after a week with 30g of mosaic and 30g of US cascade

Original Gravity turned out at 1.060

Going to bottle in a few days

I am planning the same brew for next week but with centennial  if you want to  bottle 3 in pastic and we can swap.. I am doing same grains BUT gladfields ale base  is its pretty biscuity and i think for this IPA cloase enuf  as MO

planning us05 for this repitch I saw a dry irish suggestion and have this but think us05 will be better,, the irish does finish low tho both still possible

I brewed this awhile back, I was quite happy with the results, this wort can def carry more late/dry hopping than the original recipe.

yeah if you review this thread the wort could take maybe 300grams of hops maybe 170 kettle and 130 dry?   some big names on that thread...

http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/forum/topics/imperial-ipa-hopping-s...

I have tasted it after 12 days of fermenting. It has a decent hoppy taste for an IPA but you could definitely add more hops later on in the boil.

I'd be keen on the bottle swap too. This is just my second attempt at all grain so hopefully it turns out good haha. I checked the gravity and it has finished at 1.010 as I expected

Actually brewing the Mash Up 2011 Collaboration Ale right now. Just coming to the end of secondary. Bottling in the next 5 days-ish... So far it seems to be shaping up well.

http://nzcraftbeer.tv/mash-up-20-litre-recipe/

It's a lovely simple recipe, I brewed it almost a month ago and am drinking it now--well not right now! ;-)

Another batch from the dregs of malt I have laying about...Also...I plan to do No Sparge on this one. I think I may stick with no sparge for a while...

5.45kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter

1.00kg Golden Promise

1 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann)
20 gm Cara-Pils/Dextrine
20 gm Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L

Caramunich T2 250gm

10 gm Citra   - Boil 60 min
20 gm Kent Goldings - Boil 45 min
20 gm Kent Goldings - Boil 30 min
20 gm Kent Goldings - Boil 15 min
1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10 min)
10 gm Citra  - Boil 0 min
1 pkgs London ESB (Wyeast #WY1968)
No Dry Hop

Been on a binge in the last week to get all my lagers bottled. Less than satisfactory really with faults in a few, although still drinkable. Most happy with a repeat from last year that has come out pretty close, a German Pils using a bit of Carapils and Flaked Barley, then PG for bittering and Perle for flavour/aroma. It is okay to me but others seem to really like it.

Real success is this, my best beer yet and I have finally nailed a dry stout. It has only taken 60+ brews to get a beer I would be proud to sell if that way inclined. Bottled a second batch today and it is tasting almost as good as the one done in August.

Two Black Sheep

5.3% abv

40ibu

66% Malteurope Pale Malt

21% Flaked Barley

6% Roast Barley

4% Black Malt

3% Pale Chocolate

PG for bittering

S-23, although the first version was done with K-97.

Mash temp was 70°C for the first and this one averaged a little lower.

Flaked Barley puts the efficiency down at around 70% (I normally get 80%)

I am keen to have a crack at this beer , it looks interesting, have you thought of trying M03 ?

what was you OG and FG ?

M03 would likely work well Peter and you could probably mash at the traditional 67°C. My errors in the past have been that the beer was too dry and thin and man that K-97 is hard to get a decent bodied beer out of. I always thought the flaked barley was supposed to supply that but in my experience you still need a higher mash temperature.

You could bump up the base malt % if using an imported product.

OG's were 1.058 & 1.054 respectively but to be honest I forget to measure FG most times. I generally give two weeks in the fermenter and by then it is what it is. A taste before I bottle will tell me if there are unfermented sugars still about.

M03 - It seems to stop high,  not dramatically so but leaves a sweetnes,  but I don't see great floculation with M03 after carbonation with M03, although mine wasn't an optimal fermentation....     Wyeast Irish Ale 1084 that stuff is like rust it never sleeps... dry is the word.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service