Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94569

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amazingly, I hit all my numbers! We will see where it ends up with the FG.

Man, I miss my March pump. I wish it worked. I hate recirculating and carrying stuff. I am getting too old for this stuff.

That will be a nice summer beer... almost a blonde ale is I had to guess.

Knocked out the first of my planned brews for Summer...havent been brewing much recently with the wee one taking up most of my spare time...but planning to get down 4 more brews before xmas...which is a lot for me!

Clone of Russian River Row 2 Hill 56 - have never had this beer, but had a pound of Simcoe I needed to make a dent in and had never brewed nor tasted an all Simcoe beer...

4kg Pilsner

2kg Golden Promise

0.25kg Caramalt

Simcoe all the way through;

15g @ 60min

20g @ 30min

40g @ Flameout

60g Dry Hop 

First time using M44 from Mangrove Jacks...so will see how this goes. Mashed low as I want a fairly crisp dry APA...this yeast sounds like it will suit as it Attenuates pretty low (from what i've read).

This M44 is slow stuff...OG was 1.046 and its only down to 1.028 after 5 days....should have been really healthy yeast too, following correct rehydration and pitch rate...it apparently attenuates down real low, so we will see how it gets on...

Hey Mark,

I had the pleasure of trying Row 2 Hill 56 at the pub in Santa Rosa, it was an awesome beer, a great sessionable substitute to their Pliny the Elder, and just as good I think. Whereabouts did you find the recipe?

Homebrewtalk has the Clone Matt

Hey Mark, I've been looking at this recipe as well.
Probably a bit early to comment, but how did it turn out?

I notice you made some adjustments? and your OG seems low, was there a reason why?

The Beer is cold conditioning now, before I bottle in the next day or two...

Its tasting great from the fermenter...Its the lightest APA i've brewed (thanks to the Pils I guess) and has a great Piney aroma...solid bitterness with just enough malt sweetness. I have high hopes for this beer and will probably brew it again next weekend...I have enough Simcoe for another two batches.

As for adjustments to the recipe, I always plug the clone recipe into Brewmate and scale to my requirements. 

As for the OG, I had a bad Brew day with my HLT element crapping itself. Ended up doing a batch sparge instead of about an hour fly sparge, and didnt leave long enough before draining, so I was about 5 points short...should have been 1.051

Ah Right, I do BIAB No Sparge and generally hit 70% Brew eff. I'll be subbing out the base fof the pale and maris otter. keeps things simple. and gladfields toffe in place of the crystal.

bring it down to a 60 min boil too, makes my day shorter and easier.

i've got 130g of simcoe, so i'll be using the last of that, I'm also thinking I might add a hop stand as well, similar to the Epic Pale Al, so a flameout, then an aroma addition at 10 mins after boil has finished, should add to the aromatics.

good new years beer i think. If it goes well, I've got some Mosaic to re-brew it, give this single hops stuff a go. Cheers Mark.

If you fancy a swap, We can have a trade?

90min boil due to using Pilsner Malt...debate over if its needed or not to drive off the precursor to DMS...I went with the 90min boil as I've never used Pils before. 

Have a look at the Homebrew Talk link I posted above if you wanna look at the clone I used.

Think this would be a good base for any single hop pale ales.

Generally DMS is moreprevalent in Pilsner malt. I think theres some merit to all the talk about it.

60 Min boil as I'm using normal Pale Malt.

Keen for a swap to see the differences based on the malt changes/hop changes.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service