Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94585

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting idea! Thought about using an oaked malt distillate?

Actually no I hadn't, and that is probably a better idea...  However, as I'm slowly grinding my way through distillation of 24 doz bottles of pinot gris, I already have that at hand. 

Mind you I've just recalled that somewhere in the back of my cupboard is a few litres of a weizenbock that I distilled a couple of years ago and has been on oak since....  might check that out.  Cheers 

Just trolling through old threads and thought I'd give a little update...

Still have a few of these - but you'd probably need to take a trip to Napier.

Entered this beer in the 2012 NHC and got Gold and Trophy in the Specialty Beer category.  Was pretty stoked about it I can tell you...

Alright, brewing my first all-grain hefewiezen tomorrow and I'm guessing it'll turn out better than those wheat kits + WB-06.

'El Hefe'

2.5Kg Global Pilsner

2.5Kg Global Wheat

15gm Tettnang @ 60

10 gm Tettnang @ 45

Wyeast 3068 (thanks Dale)

A repeat of OIL, that's 710 upside down

90% malteurop and10% dark crystal

1.035ish with 30 IBU of Hallertau, Motueka and cascade, mostly late. Plus the same combo dry hopped.

I tried it without the dry hopping and I struggle to drink it

Masho !

And todays lucky number is six - 1.03six in the fermenter

feeling guilty about brewing on such a good day - and then out this arvo for a North Welly tasting

Oh well, I'm sure the family can entertain themselves without me !

Smoked malt vinegar:

25 liters of fully fermented and filtered The Big Smoke and 1 bottle of unpasteurized cider vinegar.

The live lactobacillus from the vinegar should turn the beer into malt vinegar...

There's definitely fermentation going on in the bucket after 2 days. Better keep this bucket away from the other beers...:)

I had some good feedback on this beer over the weekend and some requests to share the recipe so here it is...

Mayday APA III

96% GP

4% Pale crystal

Mash @ 67°

18 IBU Southern X @60

13 IBU Simcoe, Cascade and Amarillo @ 15

5 IBU Simcoe, Cascade and Amarillo @ 5

2.5 g/L Simcoe, Cascade and Amarillo @ 0

2 g/L Simcoe, Cascade and Amarillo Dry

Ferment with S05 @ 19°

1.049 - 1.010

5.1% 36IBU

Looks like a nice recipe, good choice on the  grist and hop schedule.

How many g/L does that work out to at 5 and 15 minutes, and are they even amounts for the simcoe, cascade and amarillo at each addition?

Works out to about 1 g/L at each addition. Even amounts of each hop.

This is the third go at that recipe, I added simcoe to the hop bill and bumped up the overall hopping a bit this time round. Its only been in the keg for 2 weeks but its tasting delicious, too early to tell but next time I might bump up the crystal to 5% for a bit more malt sweetness, really happy with the hopping so far.

Cheers Hamish. I really enjoyed the beer and will definitely give this one a crack. I especially like the fact that you did it with US05 (was that first generation or had you repitched?)

Third generation. Glad you liked it, I'll be re-brewing it too.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service