Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Has anyone experimented with substituting 1kg of honey for the usual 1 kg of dextrose used with extract brewing? Interested to hear about the outcomes as I'm thinking of giving it a go.

Views: 979

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not sure that many people around here would call using 1kg of dextrose in a brew 'usual', but never the less, yes you can brew with honey, however 1kg is going to pack quite a honey punch. Most beer recipes with honey in them range in the 200 - 500g range per 20L brew. Anything more than that and you're really getting into Braggot rather than 'beer with a bit of honey in it'. Could be worth experimenting with if you are really into honey. If you're just looking to brew a decent beer without the strange tastes of fermented dextrose, try using 1.5kg liquid malt extract in place of 1kg dextrose. Thats my 2c anyway.

Thanks John, I've have used the additional previously and I found it interesting. Thanks for Tour input. Maybe I'll start looking into brewing from scratch.

Same as John, using liquid malt would be my preference over dextrose or sugar for most beers.  It certainly has its uses if you want a dry lager or saison for instance but use it because you know why your using it.  I have used honey instead of malt and sugar though and added a really nice hone tone.  Converted pretty much entirely to alcohol so be careful or it could make your beer thin and incipid a bit like adding sugar/dextrose.

From memory mine was with a red ale recipe about 4% but came out around 5% with a nice summery finish.  Pohutikawa honey mabe...  Was a while ago.

I have raw honey 2kg for inclusion into a saison. Planning to add it warmed, to runny state direct into primary at day 3-4, when krausen is high. Much risk of infection? Some websites say pausteurise at 80 degrees for a 2.5hrs, to kill wild yeast. I think they won't have much chance against beer yeasties in full flight . Any good/bad experiences from past brews??

I agree 100% with the guys above, it will be rather dry much like Dextrose, and you may be surprised how little honey flavour is left. I have had good results bottle conditioning with honey if you want honey flavour. Or add late in the fermentation as Jess9 suggested.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service