Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi All
(Hopefully I didn't miss a thread here, I searched first!)
Just wanted to see if anyone has rhizomes available this year? I hear there is a shortage, however if there are any suppliers anyone knows of I would be keen to given them a go!

Maybe we can get a list of suppliers going? I see in the old forum that Stephen @ Hallertau may have been one of them, any ideas?

Cheers

Views: 17319

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Reuben, you're in Auckland aren't you?

My Danscade went great guns last season and given the warm weather at the moment shouldn't be too long before it starts putting up bines.  You're welcome to some of the prunings I'll be taking off it to grow up if that's what you're looking for. 

Ive got heaps if anyone wants some!

Just have to find time to dig up and post etc.

Yeah Dan its pretty awesome! 

And a lot of us have you to thank for spreading the love.  My first taste of fresh wet hop beer thanks to that wee seed you managed to get growing (or as the legend goes... ) What is the story for history's sake? 

I'd be interested to see a map of brewers around the country who have a Danscade in their garden.

Dan I would like one or two rhizomes when available please. Happy to pay postage +. Thanks

Just realized my reply earlier went to the end of the thread - I'd be keen on some too.

Ok, i,ll bear it in mind and try and get to it this week, maybe even today.

check out hop rhizhome trade me green bullet

It still makes me laugh I have a hop named after me! :)

Above post was meant to be under here.

Yeh mine was supposed to be under reubens!

Well! The legend goes!

A long long time ago (about 6-7 years ago maybe) cant remember!

When I resided in the deep southern sleepy town of Gore (Thats right! Gore)

One dismal afternoon while drinking a fine home made ale or eight  I painstakingly  removed every seed out of a kg of NZ Cascade,(Hundreds)  Would they grow I pondered? Tried before, But no grow!

The following day I proceeded to plant them out, some in seed trays (with heat) , some in pots under cover and most in the vege garden.

Weeks went by, I eagerly checked on the sowed areas day by day, hope was diminishing, no sign of life!

Why I wondered? then had another nice ale or so, residing myself that it had been a complete failure, nothing in the pots, nothing in the seed trays, nothing in the garden.

Weeks went by, as fast as the coal fumes in the air.

One beautiful but chilly Southern day I ventured out to the garden to harvest some carrots & leeks for a legendary soup (but thats another story).

Whilst digging up the succulent carrots i noticed a strange weed Ive never seen before, about 3cm high, not being one to pull out an unknown weed it remained where it was.

A few days later  I wondered! could it be? Nah! Maybe!

The excitement enticed me to leave work early and check it out, after a fine gore pilsner I ventured out to the vege patch to examine the aforementioned weed.

To my amazement a true leaf had formed.

BEHOLD! a Hop plant has been born. Some ales were due.

After nurturing this plant and a required transplant it grew up a dead old gumtree on the fenceline.

Many a bogan would stop to examine the hop cones growing above the fence, some would partake in a sample, im sure they were disapointed.

It grew well and formed a great rootstock which was spread throughout the land,It is said the original stock still thrives in the heart of Gore.

Classic - there it is for posterity! I feel like I'm sitting by the fire hearing tales of old as I sip yet one more of those fine ales you mention (a duchesse de Bourgogne tonight).  Thanks mate.  Cheers to ya.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service