Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I'm gradually getting all the bits and pieces together to build a single tier AG rig (similar to this).  Each time I get paid I'm making an effort to buy one or two more pieces in the hope I can be up and running before summer.

I'm looking for a good supplier for SS fittings, ideally in Wellington, but that's not a deal breaker.  I plan to place a reasonably sizeable order too, so a willingness to negotiate on price will definitely help me make a decision.

I've found a US supplier (bargainfittings.com) with several kits made up which are exactly what I'm after, but surely I can find a good supplier closer to home - I'll definitely consider an Aussie supplier too because I'm over there often.

I've listed some of the parts I'm after with links to images.  Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Views: 8237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Evan your the man !

Hi Evan,

I see you are with Wam/Pipeline .... I am trying to figure out what I need to take my keg and chance it into a brew kettle... I am thinking 1/2" SS - Hose tail - 1 piece valve - and a pickup tube. But I having no luck in getting clear dirrection & price. Can you help?

Cheers

Miles

Wam/Pipeline ... very helpfull, got a quick reply with price.

Cheers

Miles

I'm now also in the process looking for stainless fittings such as valves and quick disconnects.
Any recommendations?

Camlocks vs the morebeer quick disconnects?
BSP vs NPT? March pumps seem to come with NPT so should I look to NPT?
Craftbrewer seem to stock both BSP and NPT products, are they compatible?

So many options for something that seemed simple. I would hate to buy a bunch of components that aren't friendly to one another.

Hi Mr Cherry,

I went with Camlocks and I think they are great.  Really easy to change hoses and they are really solid so will last forever.  The only caveat is they come with non-food safe seals (in the female connections) so you'll need to replace them.

I would highly recommend you go with BSP fittings.  NPT use imperial measurements and they aren't compatible with BSP (mostly) so if you go the NPT route, you'll need to source things from America (or elsewhere).  I decided to go with BSP so when it comes time to upgrade/replace parts, I can shop locally instead of having to pay massive shipping costs (remember, stainless is heavy...)

I sourced all of my stainless fittings from Evan Davies (here on RB) so I would recommend you chat with him. He was able to source everything I needed in 316 S/S (camlocks, 3 piece ball valves, hosetails etc) , and gave me a great deal.  Be prepared to smash your piggy bank though - even although Evan totally hooked me up, I still ended up spending quite a lot on these bit and pieces.  I think it's worth it in the long run though.

Oh, and you're right about it seeming so simple - I didn't know anything about standard threads when I was researching so it took me some time to figure it all out.  I ended up sitting down with pencil and paper and drew a diagram of my proposed system to get all the pieces of the puzzle clear in my mind.

Just flick me a message (or PM) if you want to know more - I'm happy to list all of the stuff I got and can easily run out to the shed to take some photos for you if you want.

Awesome, thanks Duncan, that's exactly the sort info I'm after. One other question though. Why the 3 piece valve and not the 2 piece. What's the advantage? Cheers.

I went for the three piece because, in the big scheme of things, they weren't too much more expensive and they are easy to completely dismantle to clean.  I realise I'm not going to be pulling them apart regularly, but every 6 - 12 months I'll disassemble everything (I've got weldless fittings throughout) to soak in PBW, then lube up and reassemble.

It's not necessary to go for three piece, but I figured the increase in cost (as a percentage of the total build cost) was low enough for me to warrant getting the best I could.

Looking at upgrading my current system so I can do bigger brews. Sounds like Evan is the man for SS connections and so when I get serious I will drop him a line. One question tho, the weldless bulkhead fittings so you can put a ball valve off your pot, what have people ended up going with, or was Evan able to get hold of these for you too? 

Hey Ralph

http://morebeer.com/public/pdf/WL101.pdf

this is what I am going to put through my new pots.  My last ones were welded which is awesome but these new kettles are too skinny to weld

I'll be using a snap fitting though not a barb

Hey Ralph,

I got my bulkheads from Evan too.  He was able to fabricate the threaded piece, and supplied the stainless washers and nuts.  He also provided the seals for me too, although I've since replaced them with some thicker ones I imported from the States.

Hi HBrs I am currently in South Africa working, so am away till Feb sometime, i will post a phone no. for a Hamilton Co. that you can try for S/Steel camlocks, and bulkheads are available, I have a length at home 600mm long and nuts to suit if you can wait, or otherwise it is called BSP nippling tube and is available through Anzor S/steel, you can also get the backing nuts from them and washers. They have branches nationwide. I will help via this forum as where to source things, as It will be awhile till I return, happy brewing.

Hi there HBrs, I nfinally dug out my nz cellphone and still have the no. for a camlock supplier in Hamilton. the company name in INZ and the contact is a chap named Graham, he has S/Steel 316 1/2 " camlocks at rediculous low prices. It will be first in first served as I know he doesnt hold great stock but last time he sent me a brochure( about 2 mths ago) he had camlocks for $7 for a male and $11 for a female. I got a sample and they were great value, made in India jobbies, you will need to replace the seals and I found that Para rubber can stamp out replacements for a pittance from white FG nitrile 100 C  3 or 5 mm sheet. I dont know if all branches can but Nelson certainly can. happy hunting, man being stuck working on a dry ship and all this HB talk is TORTURE, still only 50 more days, sob sob INZ 07 8490165 www.inzhydro.co.nz

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service