Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi there

Most of you know that a feature of Marchfest for the last few years has been a home brew demo.

Other than having fun, the goal of this demo has mostly been to promote craft brewing at home and to show people that it is possible to make great beer by yourself. For many people, home brewing means kit+kilo swill to be endured rather than enjoyed. It is great to have an opportunity to try to change this opinion.

Ed and I have had gallons of fun brewing at Marchfest, but this year it feels like time to take it up a level. Therefore it has been proposed that for the demo this year we try to get as many different people brewing onsite with as many different setups as we can manage - all grain, partial, wort kits, shiny blickman bling vs warehouse pots vs keggles vs splash and dash... the more variety the better.

As far as I know (but Fritz and Maria should confirm this) this idea has been embraced by the organisers and now we need to start getting in to the nitty gritty.

I am looking for volunteers to help, either people that are interested in brewing or people that are interested in assisting in other ways. I am sure there will be a lot to organise and I should have a 6-week-old by Marchfest and am also playing with the Immigrants on the day so I will need help both before the day and during it.

If you are interested, please let me know.

If you want to brew on the day, please let me know how your mobile set-up is likely to work.

If you have a set-up that might work but can't make it along and are happy for someone else to use it, let me know.

Utilities - especially electricity - will be limited so the more people that can brew with gas the better. I would like to say that it's open floor and everyone is welcome but we might have to be selective.

We are still confirming lots of details:

* Final sign-off from the organisers

* Contents of Volunteer packs (t-shirts, tickets, beer vouchers etc)

* What power and water supplies we can rely on

* How big the floor space we will have is

* Potential sponsorship for ingredients

* etc

I am planning on being at Evan's on Saturday which might be a good opportunity to talk about it.

Cheers

Mike

Views: 821

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah it seemed to go really well, and be really popular from what I could tell. Going into it, I thought there would be a good few occasions where we'd be the only ones around but I can't really remember that happening even once. Granted there are other parts I can't really remember either so that observation may be of limited usefulness.

No complaints from me really, sometimes things got a bit cramped when trying to get near the back of the tent but the location was pretty good I thought, especially compared to what I've heard last years etc.

A big cheers to Mike for keeping us all organised (or at least functionally disorganised), and to Fritz and Maria for putting the whole thing together, looking forward to the next one!

From what I saw it went really well, and got some great comments from folks. well done to all the Nelson Posse WE ROCK

Hello

I propose a bottling evening, 7pm 23rd April in my garage. 

Who's in?

Cheers

Mike

I'm in..

Only if we can sample the product while we bottle.

Is there any other kind of bottling? I'll be there.

Bugger, its St Georges Day and my sons 9th birthday, so will have a houseload of excitable boys having a whopper of a lowdown, or whatever they do at that age lol

Hello home-craft-brew demo-ers

I will have 1 kg of big fat sausages made from mash-fed cows on the bbq. They are so big and fat it only takes 10 of them to make a kg.

You are welcome to bring anything that might go with a sausage.

I was going to re-write that last sentence but now I am kind of curious to see what it inspires...

Oh! And we might have a mystery guest, (That's got nothing to do with the fat sausages).

Hello

Don't forget bottling of Marchfest Brewdemo beers tomorrow at mine. 7pm onwards, sausages on bbq. We will need to be pretty hands on to get it all done tomorrow, I think about 80 or 90 litres in total.

Cheers

Mike

Hello

The specialty malts that got left behind at Marchfest have been handed over to Dean. These are free to all Marchfest volunteers to use for their brews, first come first served. If you are after anything specific, please contact Dean who is happy to hand it out as it is needed.

In order to allow us all to make the most of this, it's probably fairest if people just ask for what they need for a specific brew. 

The 2.5 sacks of base malt will be distributed at the case swap organised by Hoddy. I expect everyone should get 7.5kg. If you can arrange to bring a suitable container for your share that would help a lot.

Cheers

Mike

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service