Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi there

Most of you know that a feature of Marchfest for the last few years has been a home brew demo.

Other than having fun, the goal of this demo has mostly been to promote craft brewing at home and to show people that it is possible to make great beer by yourself. For many people, home brewing means kit+kilo swill to be endured rather than enjoyed. It is great to have an opportunity to try to change this opinion.

Ed and I have had gallons of fun brewing at Marchfest, but this year it feels like time to take it up a level. Therefore it has been proposed that for the demo this year we try to get as many different people brewing onsite with as many different setups as we can manage - all grain, partial, wort kits, shiny blickman bling vs warehouse pots vs keggles vs splash and dash... the more variety the better.

As far as I know (but Fritz and Maria should confirm this) this idea has been embraced by the organisers and now we need to start getting in to the nitty gritty.

I am looking for volunteers to help, either people that are interested in brewing or people that are interested in assisting in other ways. I am sure there will be a lot to organise and I should have a 6-week-old by Marchfest and am also playing with the Immigrants on the day so I will need help both before the day and during it.

If you are interested, please let me know.

If you want to brew on the day, please let me know how your mobile set-up is likely to work.

If you have a set-up that might work but can't make it along and are happy for someone else to use it, let me know.

Utilities - especially electricity - will be limited so the more people that can brew with gas the better. I would like to say that it's open floor and everyone is welcome but we might have to be selective.

We are still confirming lots of details:

* Final sign-off from the organisers

* Contents of Volunteer packs (t-shirts, tickets, beer vouchers etc)

* What power and water supplies we can rely on

* How big the floor space we will have is

* Potential sponsorship for ingredients

* etc

I am planning on being at Evan's on Saturday which might be a good opportunity to talk about it.

Cheers

Mike

Views: 824

Replies to This Discussion

We had a chat and sorted out a rough schedule and who has what gear, which Mike will no doubt post here soon. You guys are on SOBA from 2-3 right? There's eight of us overseeing the all-grains so we paired off into four shifts. You and Matthew were partnered for the 3:45 - 5:45 I think, Mike will confirm.

Ok seems I am going to be a busy bee, I am rostered for Hops and Grain and some other random tent between 2-6 will time to float to brew demo tent, so make my brew demo hour 3. 30ish to break up the tedium lol

OK David, Gareth, Dean and I spent some time on this tonight. We made some progress.

Attached is a suggested roster for who is doing what and a gear list that we need to take along.

Things you can do to help:

• Read the attachment and make sure you know when you are rostered. Swap with someone if you are not happy.
  • Maybe you can volunteer to do the unpack/set-up with David from 10.30am to 12? I was hoping to do it but it looks like that's going to be sound-check time.
  • Maybe you can volunteer a fermenter that we can use? We need 5, we have 4.
  • Please read the gear list and have a think about anything we might have forgotten.
  • Turn up on the day :)  Please txt me so I can tell you how to get your ticket 0272463027 

Cheers

Mike

Attachments:

I think Dean and I will be in between 10:30 and 10:45 so we can help set things up with Dave.

Great, read and understood? Can do the other fermenter... Let me know

Awesome may need to swap with either Matt or Adam due to being rostered at some other random tent from 1.55pm, let us know if poss, my no. is 021 029 05339

Love to help mate but Hoddy and I are selling Soba memberships at the time you want to swap?

Adam: It would be great if we could use your fermenter. Even better if you can get it into the hands of Dean or Gareth so they can load it in Saturday morning and you don't have to carry it in through the main gate (although that doesn't sound so bad now I think about it).

Evan: It's not essential that all shifts are covered 100% as we should always have at least 3 other people on. So don't worry too much if you can't make it work or find someone to swap.

Hello

Well, it's over. I got a lot of feedback that suggested it was a raging success. Personally I feel it went very well, and that this was mostly down to everyone mucking in on the day and making it work whilst I swanned around. Hopefully we will get some drinkable beer out the back end and we can have a wee get-together to congratulate ourselves.

I also got some feedback which suggested maybe there were things we could have done better, which is great. I encourage everyone to give their feedback on what worked and what didn't work here on the forum or to me privately if you prefer or if you want to moan about anyone specifically. If you want to moan about me you can do it in either place - I am fairly self-critical at times so it will be nice to have some company.

All of the gear is now back at my place and I will be trying to sort through it all today. If you think I have anything here that is yours let me know when you want to swing by and grab it.

Cheers

Mike

I also think it when well, I had a great time so that,s a good bench mark for me. 

Can't wait to taste the beer that was thrown together.

I think I mentioned it to Mike and that it would be great just to bring a small amount of home brew so people could just taste what you can do with some grain/malt, hops, yeast and water. Would be great to have a sample of the beer we are demoing, Made up a month or so before.

Anyway thanks Guys it was a great day

Hi Dave,

I have also thought it would be cool to have a 'here's one I prepared earlier demo' but I think Customs might see it slightly differently.

Had a great time, even if my beer did get watered down when I went to get a refill!

It could be a good idea to ask the Marchfest team, you never know.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service