Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70871

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Evening and seasons greetings folks.

I'm looking for advice on the right mix of malts / hops for a brew day tomorrow. I'd like to make a hoppy pale ale and a stout. Here's what I got:

Base malt is Malteurop Pilsen Malt. I also have pale and dark crystal, chocolate malt, roast barley, and vienna.

I have heaps of Magnum, Czech Saaz, and EKG, 100g of US Cascade, 35g of Sauvin, 70g of Green Bullet, and about 200g of homegrown NZ Cascade (Danscade)

I've 2 sachets of dried yeast I'd like to use, US-05 for the pale ale and S-04 for the stout.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

About 4-6% each of dark crystal, choc malt and roast depending on your preference for the roast flavour really.  Green Bullet at 60 mins to about 35 IBU, or a little higher if you can let it mature for a while.

Could be some tasty options with those hops for you pale ale, but I have only used cascade so hopefully someone else can help you there. Plenty of pale crystal malt and as much as 10% Vienna I reckon. By all accounts NZ malt needs plenty of specialties. 

Thanks Scarfie.

I'll be trying this today -

5.5KG Malteurop Pilsen Malt

500g Vienna

250g Light Crystal

200g Carapils

50g US Cascade (5.6%) at 20 minutes

20g Nelson Sauvin (12.3%) at 20 minutes

50g US Cascade (5.6%) at 5 minutes

20g Nelson Sauvin (12.3%) at 5 minutes

75g US Cascade (5.6%) dry hop

35g Nelson Sauvin (12.3%) dry hop

Pitch with US-05 dry yeast.

What do you reckon?

That looks like a nice pale Karl. I have used NZ Cascade and Sauvin in combo and like it.

How many L is this grain bill for?  thanks Peter

Thinking about doing a cross-style brew as suggested in Radical Brewing  - Hoppy American IPA with Belgian Yeast. I have some Ardennes floating around - has anybody had a go with something similar before?

I made a stellar one with Ardennes, Kohatu and Motueka a while ago. One thing I would say is make the bitterness lower because the Ardennes yeast gives such a dry finish. The BU:GU ratio on mine was 0.65 and I think that was about perfect.

Cheers Dougal

Belgian IPAs are awesome! Lots of great commercial examples mostly from the US.

After years of saying I would never brew a wheat beer, I'm going to brew a Belgian wit for summer quaffing! Maybe the heat and humidity have got to me and addled my brain.

Anyway, I've got my recipe sorted other than the spicing. I'm thinking a mixture of coriander seed, grains of paradise, bitter orange peel & fresh orange peel is the go, but I have no idea on quantities. I don't want the spices to be the dominant flavour, but I want to know they're there.

Any thoughts?

Martin

Have you got JZ's brewing classic styles? maybe have a look in there to see what proportions he uses for the spices :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service