Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70870

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I posted my Saison recipes that I did here: http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/profiles/blogs/latest-recipes. Overall I was super happy with either, but I think I preferred the first with the additional sugar syrup. The key is really just getting your temperature right, and being able to step it up over the course of the fermentation. 3711 is the bomb. I'll be brewing several more litres of Saison this summer, it's one of my favourite styles.

Good call on the 3711, I love that yeast. It's a monster. 

Brewed this one recently but used the Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse yeast instead of 3711. Very pleased with how it turned out. Simple recipe with tops results.

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2009/11/hoppy-french-saison.html

They all look like good recipes: and I'm aiming to use only sauvin. so I came up with this:

its a partial mash recipe:

2.5kg Light DME

0.5kg Caramalt

0.5kg wheat

0.5 kg rye

I was thinking about adding vienna either 0.25kg (5.9%) or 0.5kg (11.1%), but I'm not sure how that would work.

Hops Schedule is as follows:

07g Nelson Sauvin @ 60

14g Nelson Sauvin @ 30

23g Nelson Sauvin @ 10

28g Nelson Sauvin @ Flameout

DryHop: 28 g 1 week

French 3711 Wyeast.

thoughts on the hops schedule and thoughts on the vienna addition??

I brewed this saison a couple of weekends ago, and bottled it on sunday. Well, bottled half and put the other half in a fermenter with a dose of brettanomyces for company. Anyway, it tasted delicious, and the low mash temp meant it got down to a final gravity of 1.006, so its super dry. Can't wait to get into it after the summer hols. The sauvin schedule worked out really well.

Planning an American Amber Ale over the weekend, this is what I've come up with:

Batch Size (fermenter): 25.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 30.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 31.1 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pale Malt (Gladfield) 65.4 %
Carared (Weyermann) 24.5 %
Cara-Pils 8.2 %
Carafa Special II (Weyermann) 2.0 %

25.00 g NZ Cascade 60.0 min
15.00 g NZ Cascade 10.0 min
15.00 g NZ Cascade 5.0 min
15.00 g Motueka 5.0 min
15.00 g NZ Cascade 0.0 min
15.00 g Motueka 0.0 min

American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272)

Might be too high with the Carared?

I've not brewed this style before so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Looks all good to me.

I dropped Carared for Caramunich... just personal taste.... but that Carafa Special will be interesting in an AA.

Yea, the plan with the Carafa is to increase the colour without adding roast flavour... that's the plan!

Thanks for that, might try the same with Caramunich in the next batch.

I used about 2% carafa special II in an Alt bier recently, and it was a touch on the dark side (say 25 instead of 15 SRM), despite what Beersmith and other software said.  You might want to drop it back to 1% possibly.

partial mash recipe:

2.5kg Light DME

0.5kg Caramalt

0.5kg wheat

0.5 kg rye

I was thinking about adding vienna either 0.25kg (5.9%) or 0.5kg (11.1%), but I'm not sure how that would work.

Hops Schedule is as follows:

07g Nelson Sauvin @ 60

14g Nelson Sauvin @ 30

23g Nelson Sauvin @ 10

28g Nelson Sauvin @ Flameout

DryHop: 28 g 1 week

French 3711 Wyeast.

thoughts on the hops schedule and thoughts on the vienna addition??

11% Will add some toast character to the beer for sure, so depends on if you want that or not? I love the stuff and would definitely pop some in. ... maybe go for less since your using 3711. And on that note, watch your ibu's the beer will end up really dry.... you used 3711 before? A little hops go a loooong way and its really easy to cover up the lovely citrus character this yeast produces.

Good call Adam.. In my experience, 3711 attenuates to about 90-100% ;P I've had 1.060 beers come right down to 1.003. Madness.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service